In a few easy steps, I will go over the process of stopping those nasty bill collectors and/or anybody you just don't want to talk to anymore. (Only works on cell phones with memory chip slots or the ability to go on the Internet or text messaging abilities).
we will be stopping them, by assigning them names in your contact list and assigning those names a blank ringtone so that you will never hear them call you again.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Creating the Silent Sound File
step one involves your prep work...
unplug your microphone from your computer (if you have a mic)
open your sound recorder... usually "start- programs- accesories- entertainment- sound recorder.
hit "record" and then hit "stop" a second or two later.
go to file- save as-
name it "blank" or whatever you want and save it in a place you can remember, like the desktop.
Step 2: Making the Blank Ringtone With Internet and Transferring to Your Phone.
go to www.cellsea.com
this is the place i go to to make my own ringtones... if you dont have an account with them, sign up, its totally free!
they have a ringtone maker on the page (online tools - ringtone maker) .
use that to upload your blank sound wav to the site (load from your pc - browse -' "wherever you put your blank wav that you made") .
name the ringtone at the top of the page and give it a category. it will give you the option to chop up your sound wav (if you were making a ringtone out of a whole song you would chop it into a smaller segment to get "just the chorus" or "just the guitar solo") , make it fade in (silent at first and gradually gets louder), make it fade out (ends by getting softer and softer until it is totally silent) , and save it in a high, medium or low quality (if you picked high quality and your phone for some reason says that the ringtone is too long, just make another one in low quality).
when you are done editing it (it shouldnt need any editing) click "create ringtone" (bottom left)
click "save it" when the next window pops up.
now you can "pc download" this will download the ringtone you made to your computer (totally unneccisary). you can "mobile web" this lets you access the ringtone from the internet on your phone. or you can "send to phone" this lets you text the ringtone to your phone.
Step 3: Getting Your Ringtone Without Internet
in the steps that say "transfer the file" via whatever means... you can simply use the original sound wav that you saved to your desktop (or wherever)... you do not have to use cellsea.com or any other place. (at least I didn't when i used my at&t LG cu515)
A. Memory Card
1. Load the memory card into the PC/Mac card reader
2. Transfer the file from your PC/Mac to the card
3. Put the memory card back into your phone
1. Turn on Bluetooth on your phone and your PC
2. Connect the mobile phone with your PC/Mac
3. Transfer the file through the Bluetooth connection
C. USB Cable
1. Plug the cable into one of the computers USB ports
2. Connect the mobile phone with the cable
3. Transfer the file through the cable
D. Infrared Port
1. Turn on the infrared port on your phone
2. Align your phone and PC within 1 meter and infrared transceivers are pointing at each other
3. Click icon on your PC taskbar
4. In the "wireless link" popup window, select the file to begin transfer.
Step 4: Final Step!
OK, now that you have your ringtone created and it is now in your phone (if it isn't in your phone yet, I'm not sure how to help you... read this again), now is the time to use it.
next time you get a call from...
- somebody that mispronounces your last name
- somebody from the bank asking about overdue balance
- somebody from a credit card association wanting you to pay your bills
- that ex girl / boy friend that wont leave you alone
- (anybody you don't want to talk to)
just save their name into your contacts list (mine is under ZZZ 1, ZZZ 2, ZZZ 3, and so on "each name holds five numbers on my phone") and its all zzz so that it is at the bottom of the list and i don't see them when i am scrolling thru my contacts.
and assign that contact the blank ringtone
now you never have to know when they are calling you again!