This is a guide on how to easily multiply any number by 11 mentally and without the aid of a calculator. It can be a cool party trick or maybe you just need to multiply by 11 in a pinch. You never know, maybe after learning this trick the ladies(gents, whatever you're in to) will come flocking....or not.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Limitations and Precautions
There is no real limit to what number you can multiply by 11 with this trick. Just be aware that as you move into larger numbers, they become a little more time intensive. The only background I would suggest to have in this trick is be really familiar with your basic addition tables and be quick. The quicker you are with simple addition, the quicker this trick goes.
Step 2: The Trick
Most people I know will multiply 11s but doing the 10s method, which is pretty fast. You add some zeroes and add itself back in; nothing exciting. For smaller numbers this is a decent method but what if you wanted to do larger numbers?- thats where this comes into play.
1. Pick any number to multyply by 11.
ex. Im going to pick 3,516.
2. Take your number that you have picked and write down the last number(the ones digit).
ex. in our example its 6.
3. Then starting from the last two digits(ones and tens) add them together and write that number next to your last number.
ex. 1+6=7. Then 7 is placed next to my 6 therefore 76.
4. You would continue this process from right to left until you have no more digits to add.
ex. 5+1=6. Then 6 is placed next to 76 therefore 676.
ex. 3+5=8. Then 8 is placed next to 676 therefore 8676
5. The final step in the process is to place the foreleading digit in front of the number youve created through all of the addition.
ex. 3 is placed next to 8676 which gives you 38,676.
So there you have it. You can check that on the calculator if you would like and this will work for all numbers multiplied by 11. Good luck and happy arithmetic!