Introduction: Humpty Dumpty
I wanted to try my hand at carving an egg and decided to try Humpty Dumpty. I found a link that was interesting about this character here:
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/humpty_dumpty.htm .I made a couple of different versions. It was relatively easy to carve a boiled egg but one should consider an easy character. Boiled eggs are a little more difficult to carve than an apple.
Step 1: What You Need
- A picture to visualize what you want to do.
- I got my pictures by googling Humpty Dumpty.
- 1 lemon peel.
- 2-3 Boiled eggs ( figured extra in case of mistakes.)
- 1 Apple.
- 1 Small tin can.
- 1 Spring parsley.
- 1 Carrot.
- Several peppercorns. (raisins or licorice would work great! I did not have any.)
- Several straws.
- 1 Skewer or tooth pick. A skewer works the best.
- 1 Knife.
- 1 Potato peeler.
- 1 Cupcake liner optional.
Step 2: Boil the Eggs
- Place 2-3 eggs in a pan of cold water.
- Set Timer for 20 minutes.
- Add a dash of salt.
- I used a high heat because I was watching it.
- After the timer goes off remove from the stove.
- Using a slotted spoon carefully scoop the eggs into a bowl of ice water.
- Let set in the water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Peel the eggs and lets get started.
I usually purchase cage free eggs because I read that they are much healthier and there are less risk of salmonella.
Farm fresh eggs are the best though. Salt helps keep the eggs from cracking while they are cooking.
Step 3: Carving the Egg
- Use the skewer and mark small holes for the eyes, mouth, and nose.
- Using the skewer poke the eye holes slightly larger for the olives.
- Poke the nose hole with the skewer large enough for a small sliver of carrot.
- Carefully carve the mouth with a knife making a smooth even stroke.
- Go back over the mouth area with the knife and slightly remove a sliver of egg white to make a small narrow opening.
- Set the egg aside and let's carve the apple.
Step 4: Carving the Apple Version 1
- With the skewer make the arm and leg holes to put the carrot and straws into. See pictures.
- Cut a small tongue out of the top of the apple and set it aside.
- Cut the straws for the arms and legs or:
- Carve some very thin carrot sticks for the arms.
- If using carrot sticks for the arms add olives for the hands.
- Place the arms in place, twisting the straws as shown.
- Add the parsley for the hands. You may use a whole olive instead.
- Carefully carve a slit down the front of the apple for the shirt and belt. The belt buckle should have a slightly larger square.
- Go over it with the knife again to make a valley.
- Carefully carve olives to fill the shirt opening, belt buckle, and the belt.
- Fill the openings with the olives.
- Carve a bow-tie from the lemon Rhine .
- Place it just under the top of the apple where the neck will be.
- Place olives on the legs for shoes.
Step 5: Humpty Dumpty's Face 1
- Place the apple circle into the eggs nose.
- Place the small tongue shaped apple in the mouth area.
- Carefully carve small olive circles for the eyes.
- Place the olives into the eyes of the egg.
- Carefully with a knife carve the egg some eye brows.
- Place the olives into the eye brows.
- Carve a hat from an olive.
Step 6: Assembly
- Place the egg on top of the apple.
- Place Humpty Dumpty on the can.
- This is version 1.
Step 7: Carving Apple Version 2
- Using the skewer poke holes to form the shirt and belt.
- Using the knife carve a square for the buckle.
- Trim off the top of the apple for a hat.
- With the potato peeler make 2 carrot ribbons.
- Poke holes for the arms and legs using the skewer or tooth pick.
- Add arms and legs from the straws.
- Place olives for hands and shoes.
- Place pepper corns in the shirt and belt area.
- Place the small olive buckle in place.
Step 8: Carving the Egg Version 2
- Cut off the very top of the egg to make his head kind of flat.
- Poke holes with the skewer in the egg for the eyes and nose.
- Carefully carve the mouth with the knife.
- Go over it again making a valley like the picture.
- Carve a mouth from the apple the same shape as the mouth on the egg.
- Carve a sharp point from the carrot to form a nose.
- Place the pepper corns into the eyes.
- Place the pointed carrot for the nose.
- Place the apple mouth into place.
Step 9: Assemble Version 2
- Set the apple on the can.
- Place the cupcake liner over the top of the apple.
- Arrange the carrot ribbons to look like a tie.
- Place the egg on top of the apple.
- Place the hat upside down on top of the egg.
- Place a parsley spring into the top of the hat.
- It should look like the picture.
Step 10: Humpty Dumpty Sat on the Wall
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!
Step 11: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
The Humpty Dumpty carved egg was more difficult to make than the bunny or mouse I made in a previous tutorial. All I can say if I can do it you can do it. Just plan on having extra eggs handy until you get the hang of it. I had to experiment with different things because I have never tried to carve before. It was great fun though.
Thank you for stopping by and do have a splendorous day!
Participated in the
Play With Your Food Challenge