How to make Sally, the i-cord snake! For more details see my blog JustBCrafty.com
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 US size 5 Double Pointed Knitting Needles
- worsted weight acrylic yarn
- scrap yarn for eyes, and tongue
- yarn needle
1. Cast on 5 stitches
2. Slide stitches to the other end of the needle
3. Do not turn the work and keep the working yarn strand in the back and...
4. Knit like you normally would
5. Keep repeating: "Knit 5 stitches, slide the work to the other end of the needle, do not turn work, knit 5 stitches." After a couple of rows, photo 5 shows what the back will look like.
6. After a while, your i-cord should look like photo 6. As you go, pull on the i-cord to even out the back. It's supposed to look the same all the way around. It's basically just a long skinny stockinette tube.
Keep knitting until the i-cord measures 20 inches.
Shaping the head:
7. kfb, knit 3, kfb (7 stitches)
Keep knitting the i-cord for 6 more rows.
8. Photo 8 is a view of the back of the work after a couple rounds of forming the head.
(Note: kfb means to increase by knitting into the front and back of the stitch)
9. K2tog, knit 3, k2tog (5 stitches)
10. k2tog, knit 1, k2tog (3 stitches)
(Note: k2tog means to decrease by knitting 2 stitches together)
11. Bind off and cut yarn. Stitch up the end of Sally's tail. Weave in ends.
Stitch on some eyes and add a tongue!
Grab a little colorful box, cut up some green yarn to make grass and give little Sally a home! Enjoy!