I bought this boring looking ikea moppe unit and decided to turn it into a farmhouse style drawer unit perfect for storing away items on your kitchen counter top!
I made a video of the project for my channel BCDesign it will help you understand the steps coming up if you watch it first!!
What tools & supplies you will need:
- Mitre saw / hand saw & mitre box
- Table saw
- Router & roundover bit
- Screw driver
- Hammer & panel pins or Air nailer
- Wood glue
- Paint brush
- Sander or sanding block
- Sand paper of different grits 120, 180, 240
- 1 board off a pallet 3/4" thick or 3/4" strip of molding trim
- 2 pieces of 3/4 in plywood, 16 1/2" x 7 1/4"
- 7 small wooden knobs
- Screws of appropriate size to install the knobs you choose
- 3 different colour milk paints (if you want to do a paint job like ours)
- Water based lacquer
Step 1: Cut the Plywood to Size
- Set the table saw to the width of the ikea moppe unit, I did this by putting the unit against the blade and sliding the fence up to it.
- Cut a strip 33 1/2" long x 7 1/4" wide.
- Using a Mitre saw cut it in half and trim both pieces to 16 1/2" long x 7 1/4" wide.
- These 2 pieces will be the top and base for this project.
Step 2: Glue on the Base & Top
- Spread a liberal amount of glue on the plywood base and top.
- Carefully position the base and top so it is inline with the front and sides of the ikea mopped unit.
- Clamp the base and top into position and let the glue dry.
Step 3: Make Some Trim & Add It to the Top and Base
- I made trim for the top and bottom of the unit to hide the ugly plywood edge view.
- I removed the nails from a pallet wood board I had leftover in the shop
- Use the router and roundover bit.
- Rout a roundover grove along the edge of the pallet wood board.
- You will need at least 27" of trim to cover the front and both sides of the plywood top and base.
- I then used the table saw to cut 5/8" strip with the roundover edge off the pallet wood board.
- Offer the trim up the edge of the plywood base&top and mark where to make your 45o cuts.
- Using a mitre saw or hand saw & mitre box to cut the trim to length.
- I then added some glue and nailed the trim onto the front and both sides of the base and tops plywood edge.
Watch this quick video to see how I make the trim
Step 4: Make Some 3/4" X 1/4" Trim & Glue It Around the Edges of the Drawers
- Use the rest of the pallet wood to make decorative trim for the drawers.
- Cut strips 1/4" thick off the edge of the pallet wood.
- I then measured each of the drawers and cut the trim to size using the handsaw.
- The sizes were 12) 2 1/8" long pieces.
- 2) 16" long pieces for the big drawer.
- 4) 8" long pieces for the medium drawers.
- 6) 5 1/4" long pieces for the small drawers.
- Glue and clamp the pieces to the drawers as shown in the picture with the measurements added in.
Step 5: Add the Knobs
- Use the picture above to see how to position the knobs.
- Draw an X from corner to corner inside the trim on the small and medium boxes.
- Drill a hole in the middle of the X and add the screw to the knob from the inside of the drawer.
- To position the 2 knobs in the large drawer, measure in 3 1/2" from the side & 2" down from the top (check the diagram above to see the position) drill the holes and screw the knobs onto the drawer.
Step 6: Paint Distress & Lacquer the Unit
- We decided on a distressed milk paint and water based lacquer finish to turn the ikea moppe unit into a farmhouse style drawers.
- Start with a base coat of black paint (use a hairdryer on low heat to quickly dry the milk paint)
- Add the green paint next & dry it.
- Add the terracotta paint & dry with the hair dryer.
- Use the 180 grit sand paper to distress the milk paint, rub the edges of the drawers and any places you might expect to see natural wear.This will reveal the black and green layers of paint under the outer terracotta coat.
- When using milk paint always cover it with a finish coat of water based lacquer or wax.
- We chose lacquer for this build.
Step 7: Finished!!
You have now turned your Ikea moppe unit from boring into a beautiful farmhouse style drawer unit perfect for storing away small items on your counter top!!
Check out the video and subscribe to my channel if you enjoy the video and please vote for me in the contests at top of the page!! Thank you!