In this Instructable you will learn how to make my Incredible Chilli and Turmeric Sauce. I love it and make variations of it on a regular basis. It has a rich, warm, zesty flavour which makes it a versatile table sauce. On this occasion I made it to go with a family roast.
The combination of turmeric, chilli and pepper has anti-cancer properties and tomatoes and olive oil are good for your heart so the sauce has wonderful healthy properties and well as tasting great. It also happens to be vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
Preparation time 20 minutes.
Step 1: You Will Need
- Chillis. I have used 8 hot rocket chillis to give a very hot sauce. Use your favourite chilli variety and adjust the number according to taste.
- Piece of fresh turmeric about two centimetres by one centimetre long, or about the size of the end of your finger, as you can see in the photo. Alternatively, a quarter of a teaspoon of dried turmeric if you can't get any fresh.
- A clove of garlic.
- 100g double-concentrated tomato puree.
- Handful of fresh coriander.
- Juice of a fresh lemon, or two tablespoons of juice.
- Tablespoon and a half of olive oil.
- Cup of water.
- Salt and pepper.
- Frying pan.
- Blender. Mine is so noisy I need to wear ear plugs to stop me going deaf!
- Jug for blender.
- Sharp knife.
- Gravy boat/small jug for serving.
Step 2: Chop Up the Ingredients
Chop up the chillis, garlic, coriander and turmeric.
Step 3: Add Oil to the Pan
Measure a tablespoon and a half of olive oil into the pan and put it on a low to medium heat.
Step 4: Add the Chilli, Garlic and Turmeric
Add the chilli, garlic and turmeric (hold the coriander), a pinch of salt and some pepper. I ground the pepper for about ten seconds to give the amount shown in the last photo.
Step 5: Add the Tomato Puree
Add 100g tomato puree to the pan.
Step 6: Add the Lemon Juice
Add the juice of a lemon or two tablespoons of lemon juice.
Step 7: Add a Cupful of Water
Add a cupful of water, mix with the spatula and bring to the boil.
Step 8: Simmer
Simmer on a low heat for ten minutes.
Step 9: Blend
Tip into your jug, add the coriander and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Tip into your gravy boat or serving jug and enjoy warm over potatoes, with a barbecue or in sandwiches.
Step 10: Dinner
Dinner went down a storm;
- Roast chicken
- Baked sea-bass
- Vegetarian sausages
- Roast potatoes
- Steamed rainbow greens
- Baked mashed swede with cheddar topping
- Chilli and turmeric sauce
- Homemade gravy, I might do an Instructable for my gravy soon!