Intro: Indian Jalebi
Step 1: Ingredients
- Ingredients for Jalebi
- 1 cup maida or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon corn flour
- 3/4 cup sour yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder for colour
- 2 tablespoons oil, plus more oil for deep frying
- Ingredients for the sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- a few strands of saffron
Step 2: How to Prepare Jalebi
- Mix the All purpose flour, corn flour, baking soda, and turmeric powder in a bowl.Combine all the dry ingredients well.
- Add yogurt to the dry ingredients and blend them all together to make a thick batter by adding very little water.The consistency of the batter should be thick and not watery, similar to the butter cream batter. You should be able to make a shape when piped in a piping bag.
- When done, cover the jalebi batter and place it in a warm place for 24 hours or overnight, till it is fermented (the batter will rise on fermentation).Once the batter is fermented stir the batter in a cut and fold motion to combine it once again.
- Don'aftt over stir you want the air pockets in the batter to remain. This will help in the jalebi being crisp and also in turn help it absorb the sugar syrup.
- Fill the batter into Piping bag or catch-up bottle for making jalebi.
- Now to make the jalebi, preheat the oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough, you will know this, when you add a drop of batter into that and it will come rising to the top almost immediately.
- Once you have filled the piping bag, pipe spirals of the batter onto the medium hot oil, until you get atleast 3 concentric circles. Fry the jalebi on medium heat until golden brown in colour and crisp. Once the jalebi is crisp and browned, drain the excess oil out and immediately dip the jalebi into the hot sugar syrup.
- Piping the jalebi into the medium hot oil takes a little experience, the more you pipe the more practice you will get and the better you get at it.
- Ensure the batter is thick and firm, or else they won’t retain the shape of the jalebi. The oil for frying should be medium hot. If it is too hot, the jalebi will end up burnt.
- Check the sugar syrup recipe in the next step.
Step 3: How to Make Sugar Syrup
- To make the sugar syrup, boil the sugar with water and saffron powder in a bowl on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. When the sugar becomes thick and stringy of one string consistency.Turn off the heat and keep aside.
- The Jalebi should rest in the sugar syrup for at least a minute, after which they can be drained out of the excess syrup and then served.