Simple lentil fry / Daal Fry is prepared with pigeon pea lentils cooked along with tomatoes and other spices-herbs. This Daal is so flavorful, it can be best had with steamed rice or with chapatti (Indian whole wheat bread).
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
1)Toor Dal/ Pigeon Peas / Lenthil - 1/3 cup
2) Chopped Onion - 1 Medium
3) Chopped Tomato - 1 Medium
4) Crushed Garlic and Ginger - 1 Tbsp
5) Asafoetida - a pinch
6) Ground Turmeric (Turmeric powder) - 1/4 Tsp
7) Curry Leaves and Cilantro - few
8) Oil / Butter / Ghee - 2 Tbsp
9) Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
10) Cumin seeds - 1/2 Tsp
11) Green Chilli - as per taste (I used 1 chilli)
12) Bengal gram/ Channa Dal - 1 Tsp
13) Lemon juice - 1 Tsp
Step 2: Cooking the Daal
1) Wash and soak the lentil/daal in water for about 30 minutes.
2) Then add turmeric, asafoetida, water (2 - 2.5 Cups)
3) Then pressure cook the daal till is completely mashed or use the potato masher to mash it smooth.
Step 3: Frying the Daal
1) Place a pan on medium heat and add butter/oil/clarified butter.
2) Then add mustard, cumin seeds, channa dal, green chili, curry leaves and saute for a minute or two (till mustard cracks )
3) Now add the onions, ginger garlic paste, salt, tomato and saute till the onion and tomatoes are cooked.
4) Then add the cooked lentil and mix well.
5) Finally, add the lemon juice, chopped cilantro and switch off the heat.
Daal fry is now ready ! This can be served with Rice or Roti(Indian bread)