Potatoes are everyone's favorite, even those who are carb conscious can not resist potatoes at times :), like me. For fried food lovers potato is a god's food. The most beautiful thing about this vegetable is that it can be mixed with almost anything and will only add value.
I am sure many of you might have heard of the Indian Snack named 'Aloo (Potato) Tikki (Cutlet)', if not, that is even more better because in this instructable you will learn to make a better version of tikki:)
In this instructable, I will show you how to make Mouth watering, scrumptious Cutlets using Boiled Potatoes and Pressed Rice (commonly known as Poha in India).
This recepie is shared by my best friend, she is such an expert cook and she promised to share more of her awesomeness with me :).
it is easy to make and does not require much preparation.
Preparation Time : 10 Minutes (Excluding boiling of potatoes)
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Servings : About 5 (2 cutlets each)
Vegetarian : Yes
Irresistible?? :) Lets make it.
Please vote for me, if you like. I hope I am keeping my promise to share awesomeness :D
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
Refer the image above to have a good idea about ingredients
- Pressed rice (poha) 1 cup or about 50 grams
- Boiled Potatoes 3 medium
Spices, oil etc.
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion 1 medium sized
- Refined flour 2 tablespoons
- Paprika (Red chilli powder) 1 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Green chillies 3-4
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil of your choice to deep fry
- Fresh coriander(cilantro) leaves
- Cashew nuts 8-10 OPTIONAL
- Chat Masala 2 teaspoon
- Ginger root about 1inch long
- Deep Frying Pan
- Spatula with holes
- A large bowl
- Absorbent paper
Ok, you now you are all equipped with necessary stuff, lets do some preparation :)
Step 2: Preparation
- Grab your kitchen board & knife and chop onions, ginger root, chilies, cashews, cilantro finely. (Image 1)
- Soak Poha in water for 5 minutes, drain as much water as you can and keep it aside (Image 2)
- Now heat 2 tablespoon of oil in pan and add cumin seeds, musturd seeds, chopped onion and refined flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes. (Image 3).
- Add red chili powder, chopped green chilies, ginger, turmeric powder. Stir & mix well (Image 4). Remove the pan from stove and keep this mixture aside in a seperate bowl.
- Then add soaked poha, the mixture of spices, chopped cilantro, chat masala and salt to mashed potatoes (Image 5) and mix it well (Image 6).
Looks yummmmmmyy...isn't it ?. Just one more step
Step 3: Cooking
- When the edges of the cutlet turned golden brown, flip them carefully to fry the other side (Image 2)
- When the other side is fried golden brown, remove it from oil and put it on absorbent paper (Image 3).
That's it, It's Ready :). Serve hot with tomato sauce or chutney (check my this ible to make simple, yummy green chutney ) of your choice. (Image 4)Tips:
- I added refined flour but I think that wont be necessary, pressed rice will bind the cutlet fairly well.
- To make it more crunchy (and fatty :)) from inside, add almonds and other nuts.
Hurrrey !!! You just made delicious Potato & Pressed Rice Cutlet (call it Aaloo-Poha Tikki :))
I hope you liked and enjoyed this ible as much as I did it in cooking it and eating it and making an ible :) . Thank you for reading this ible. If you like it, please vote.
I would love see your feedback and if you choose to try this, please share a pic. Should you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer.
Participated in the
Fried Food Contest