Intro: InstaMorph - Comic Book Pendant
There are two things the Dover Public Library loves, hosting a Build Night and upcycling projects! In April Instructables sent us several packets of InstaMorph. What is InstaMorph? It's a non-toxic, lightweight polyester thermoplastic - heat it up and InstaMorph becomes moldable; cool it down and it hardens to a strong plastic. InstaMorph is great for home improvement and crafting projects as well as making useful tools.
Our patrons created many interesting objects, but we loved a craft project that made a necklace using InstaMorph and a badly damaged comic book.
You Will Need:
- 1 - Packet of InstaMorph
- Mod Podge
- Acrylic Sealer
- Sponge brush
- Pages from a book
- Kettle to heat the water
- Large Bowl to hold the water
Step 1: Cut Your Design
Look through a graphic novel or comic book. Find the image you would like to use and carefully cut it out. Measure the design so you know how big to make your pendant. We made two pendants, one with a frame and one without.
Step 2: Prepare the InstaMorph
- Heat water up about 150 degrees F. The water can be warmer, but extra caution will have to be used handling the pellets to avoid burns.
- Pour InstaMorph into the water and allow it to sit for about two minutes. You'll notice the pellets will become transparent and will clump together.
- Using a pair of tongs remove the pellets from the water. Squeeze out remaining water between the pellets.
Note: The nice thing about InstaMorph is that it can be reused multiple times. If you do decide to reuse an object, we found it worked best to heat the water to a temperature higher than 150 degrees F and to leave the object in the water for about five minutes.
Step 3: Mold Your Shape
Once the InstaMorph has been removed from the water, it should be cool enough to mold by hand.
- Remove the InstaMorph from the water.
- Place the IntaMorph on a hard surface or between your hands and flatten it down as much as possible. Be sure to remove any air bubbles.
- Begin creating the pendant shape. For the Pendant with the frame we raised the edges slightly by pinching the border.
- To create the loop to hold the string we rolled a small piece of InstaMorph between our fingers and attached it to the back of the pendant while both pieces were still soft.
Step 4: Decorate the Pendant
- Coat back of the paper strip with Mod Podge.
- Place the strip onto the pendant and smooth down with your fingers. Pay special attention to the edges to be sure the paper stays glued down.
- Wait 15-20 minutes and apply top coat of Mod Podge on the paper. Pay special attention to the edges to be sure the paper is properly sealed. Repeat.
- In a well ventilated room or outside, spray sealant all over the pendant. Wait 15-20 minutes and repeat.
Step 5: Attach String
Once the sealant has completely dried attach string and wear with pride.
Note: We used yarn because we had that on hand, but you can buy nicer cords at any craft store.
Check out more InstaMorph projects on our Facebook Page!