Introduction: K9 Dog Kennel
A friend recently asked me if I could make them a dog kennel. I knew she liked the British tv series Dr Who so figured this would be a good theme.
The obvious choice was to base it on K9.
I did not intend on writing an "Ible", so unfortunately I do not have any photos of the build process. I have documented my approach as much as possible.
The copyright to K9 is owned by the BBC and as such all credit goes to them. As such I am not allowed to distribute the plans I used to create this version. However an Internet search should offer enough material to build your own.
Step 1: Parts Etc..
To build this you will need:
K9 plans (Internet search)
Decking 3m length
Pine 20mm x 220mm x 3m
Pine 50mm x 50mm
Pine 15mm x 15mm
Solar light (told you I got carried away)
Exterior grade wood stain
Assortment of bits
Screws (exterior grade)
Basic woodworking tools
Lots and lots of patients... Trying to work out all the compound angles involved is a nightmare.
Step 2: Base
The base is one of the simpler parts. I decided to use garden decking. I figured this would prevent water pooling and make it better for the dog. I also intend to have the top removable to facilitate cleaning.
I used five lengths, slightly bigger than the length of the body. I then used the table saw to rebate the bottom for the struts that hold the base together.
The planks were then fastened with wood glue and screws.
Two struts were used as guides for locating the top section in position. These ware cut from 15mm x 15mm strips.
Step 3: Lower Section
The body a lot easier to build than I made it. I made the lower section by cutting some plywood to the desired shape and size. The 50mm x 50mm was rebated to make the legs and top support. There are numerous compound angles which have to be measured, cut, (remeasured and re cut several times...).
Once both sides are made a piece is then cut for the back. This is topped like the sides to give the legs definition. Once again pay attention to the compound angles.
The front opening is reinforced with 20mm x 75mm. This masks the interior struts on the base.
Step 4: Upper Section
This is where things get really complicated. No part of this is cut square and there are more compound angles than you can shake a sonic screwdriver at.
Start by cutting the planks to the desired length. Then angle the top and bottom to give a flat top and better join on the lower section.
The rear bends up on itself, however after several attempts I was able to calculate the correct (well it fits) angles and make the section accordingly. The side panels were cut to match this shape.
The front is relatively simple, once you account for the compound angles. An arch was cut for the opening using the jigsaw.
The top section is simply cut to the desired width and length.
Once complete two struts were cut with the desired angle on the face and screwed to the lower section. Everything was then glued and screwed.
Step 5: Head
The head is relatively simple. I admit it is not tapered as the original should be, but it is in keeping with the design.
Simply cut two side pieces to the shape of the head. Fortunately the plans I obtained had the profile shape so it was easy to trace onto the wood.
50mm wide strip was then used between these to widen the head.
The nose was cut from the dowel.
The eye slats were from some off cuts and glued and screwed in place.
The ears were simply made from attaching two thin pieces of dowel which were pre drilled.
The neck was fabricated from strips glued together and attached. Decorative framing was used to strengthen these and give better fixing.
Step 6: Finishing
The tail was made from the same dowel as the nose. This was cut at an angle and glued and screwed in place. Additional wood was cut into disks to strengthen the base.
The control panel was made from a rectangle of wood which was edged with off cuts. These were angled accordingly. 9 Buttons were cut from 15mm x 15mm and are 3 mm high. These are glued and screwed in place.
I had a spare solar garden light and figured that this would look good on the control panel. Had I thought about this sooner I would have connected it so the is illuminated LEDs in the eyes, but by the time I'd thought of this it was too late. However I bored out the panel to accommodate the body of the light. I also drilled out another hole for the on off switch and allow the light to shine into the body.
The whole thing was then painted with pet safe wood stain....
As I said at the start, this project is inspired by the British TV show DR WHO. As such the copyright for the design belongs to the BBC.
Grand Prize in the
Dog Challenge 2016
Participated in the
Outdoor Structures Contest
Participated in the
Outside Contest 2016