I like coffee and other hot beverages, like tea. So, creating a mug that detects temperature started off as a good idea. I would like to thank Matthew (I don't know his last name, sorry), Chris Whitmire, and of course, Zane Cochran for helping me with this project.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Preparations
3 330 Ohm resistors
Red, Green, and Blue Wires
There are more materials on the way, but those are some of the few that would help. We will need to solder the three resistors, one to each wire.
Step 2: Getting It All Together
proper USB cord
There are different proper ways of connecting the wires on the breadboard. It's important to be able to know which ones connect horizontally and vertically.
Step 3: Transferring to Something More Compact
A smaller breadbaord
pre-programmed temperature sensor
I transferred the connected wires to a smaller Arduino breadboard. I also connected a temperature sensor courtesy of Chris. This smaller breadboard demonstrates for more portability of the mug.
Step 4: Displaying Information
Matthew helped me out with the process of coding on the Arduino application. It was quite simple. I just pulled up one of the sample code scripts and entered several integer variables and - Serial.print(" Hello World "); - variables. We managed to read this information by using the Serial Monitor option.
Step 5: LED Connection
A functional RGB LED
Code to enter in Arduino application
I connected the RGB LED to the breadboard in a meticulous manner - plug in the longest wire first, otherwise the RGB LED will break.
Step 6: Typing in the Code
Once again, you'll need the Arduino application.
I integrated the code for the RGB LED in the Arduino document. I had to make some changes because the initial code suggested that the RGB would turn red when the substance reaches a certain temperature, not when it would feel hot to the user.
Step 7: Shiny
Step 8: Transferring to the Smaller Breadboard
Now all I had to do was transfer the rest of the wiring and RGB-LED to the smaller breadboard and the Pro-Mini. I had to remove the soldering and resistors because it didn't respond to the smaller breadboard as well as it did to the larger breadboard.