Introduction: IoT ESP8266 Series: 1- Connect to WIFI Router
This is part 1 of an "Instructables" series dedicated for explaining how to make an Internet of Things project using ESP8266 NodeMCU that aims at reading and sending data to a website and making an action using the same website.
This instructable will show you how to configure it and program it using arduino IDE. You will implement two projects:
- Blinking an LED
- WIFI connection and IP-address print
Step 1: Configure ESP8266 NodeMCU As an Arduino
- Download its driver from this link CH341SER.zip or from attached file.
- Download Arduino IDE.
- Start Arduino and open Preferences window.
- Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json into Additional Board Manager URLs field.
- Open Boards Manager from Tools .
- Enter esp8266 intro the search field to install ESP8266 platform
- Go to Tools > Board menu, then select your ESP8266 board.
- Go to Tools > Port.Connect your ESP.
Step 2: Run Blinking LED Program
This program needs no circuit. It will use a built-in LED which is connected to:
The pin named D4 or GPIO 2
For more information about hardware see this link https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-devkit-v1.0
Download the attached program
Step 3: Connect to a WIFI Network
This program will connect your ESP to a WIFI network and print its IP address on your arduino serial monitor.
You need to modify your ssid and password
const char* ssid = "YOUR WIFI NETWORK NAME";
const char* password = "YOUR WIFI PASSWARD";
make sure that the Baud rate in the program and your serial monitor window are the same
Step 4: Part 2
Follow us to see the next part of the series. It will be published soon