Introduction: Irrational Vegan Strawberry Strudel
This vegan strudel is made from phyllo dough, homemade strawberry jam, and sliced banans (little bits of Pi at work!). Inspired by a love of math and the chaos which Pi uncovers in our universe, an irrationality that comes through in this strudel... at first, an odd combination, a jump from the ordinary "Pie" for Pi day, and all at once it turns out to be magical (delicious) and perfectly right for each other (as Pi and other odd numbers perfectly speak to the way the world is).
* 1 ripe banana, sliced into thin rounds
* 1 package phyllo dough (defrosted)
* 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen, defrosted)
* 1 cup ginger ale
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
* 1/2 cup vegan margarine (melted)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large pot, over medium heat, add together ginger ale and strawberries. Mix for approximately two minutes until strawberries begin to soften and come apart (lower heat if liquid begins to bubble over).
2. Add in the sugar a bit at a time, stirring constantly for approximately one minute until dissolved.
3. Turn heat to medium-high and reduce liquid to syrup consistency. This will take approximately 7 minutes; be careful not to allow liquid to bubble over, lowering down as needed and then raising temperature again.
4. Once liquid has reduced, remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree liquid together.
5. Lay out phyllo dough on wax paper on a clean surface. Using a sharp pairing knife, cut a large Pi symbol out of each layer (keep them layered on top of each other for ease and matching).
6. With the extra dough, cut out the letters C H A O S
7. Divide the Pi symbol dough in half. Between all of the sheets (using a pastry brush) brush margarine on each sheet and then layer them back on top of each other. Do the same for the C H A O S letters, but do not divide the dough layers in half.
8. Place one half of the Pi dough on a lightly greased baking sheet, along with the C H A O S letters above it. On the Pi dough, cover with banana rounds then layer the strawberry jam on top. Place the second half of the Pi dough on top. Place two extra rounds of banana rounds on top and spread a small bit of jam on top.
9. Place baking sheet in the oven. Remove the C H A O S letters separately after approximately 10 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove the Pi strudel after approximately 20 minutes (or until golden brown). Allow to cool & enjoy!