This is one of my FAVORITE cookies to make for the holidays with my best friend. It's a simple recipe that is a staple in any Italian household, such as mine! I know you'll enjoy it too! :)
Step 1: Get the Ingredients!
Here's what you'll need:
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons baking soda
Step 2: For the Glaze...
What's a cookie without some frosting/glaze?! This frosting is TO DIE FOR! (Take it from someone who HATES frosting!)
For the glaze, you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
Step 3: Bake, Rattle, and Roll!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and margarine or butter until blended.
- Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- At medium speed, beat in ricotta, vanilla, and eggs until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt; beat until dough forms.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until cookies are very lightly golden (cookies will be soft).
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- When cookies are cool, prepare icing: In small bowl, stir confectioners\' sugar and milk until smooth.
- With small metal spatula or knife, spread icing on cookies; sprinkle with red or green sugar crystals.
- Set cookies aside to allow icing to dry completely, about 1 hour.
Step 4: Enjoy!
Now, all that's left to do is enjoy them! If you can eat just one, you're my hero!