Introduction: Jack Skellington Brownie Bites
The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favourite movies of all time and in this instructable, I have combined Jack Skellington with another one of my favorite things - brownies! The brownie recipe is super simple: the batter comes together in less than 15 minutes, after which you bake it. Alternatively, you can use your own brownie recipe or shop bought brownies. Then it is a simple matter of assembling the brownie bites.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the Brownie Bites:
Brownie - 1 Quantity (Recipe below) or you can use shop bought brownie
White Fondant - as required
Black gel food colouring - as required
For the brownie batter:
Makes 4 medium sized brownies bites
Butter - 4 tablespoons
Chocolate (50-60% cocoa solids) - 4 ounces
Egg - 1
Light brown sugar - 4 tablespoons
Salt - 1/8 teaspoon
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
All purpose flour - 1/3 Cup
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Step 2: Make the Brownie
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over a pot of simmering water (double boiler) or in a microwave oven in 30 second bursts. Set aside to cool lightly,
- Beat together the egg, sugar, vanilla essence and salt till well combined.
- Add the cooled butter and chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together, Gently fold into to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or till a toothpick when inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
Step 3: Make the Brownie Bites
- Knead the brownie till it is almost like a dough. Since the brownie is very moist, this will be easy.
- Make balls from this brownie dough. Now we will assemble the bites in the next step.
Step 4: Assemble Brownie Bites
- Roll fondant out thinly. Cut circles out of them and cover the brownie bites. Use your fingers to smoothen the seams and make sure the seams come down. Use your fingers, chopsticks or toothpicks to make two eye sockets. Use a toothpicks to mark the mouth and nose.
- Now using a toothpick and a clean paint brush, fill these indentations with the black food colouring.
They're ready to serve!