Intro: Jamaican Jerk Chicken
This Jamaican Jerk Chicken is an awesome recipe. I lived in CT with my fiancé (died in 2007) and he went to New Haven to a client Jamaican man that owned a Authentic Jamaican restaurant.... the gentle man told him how to make the Jerk Chicken.
1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 Jar 10 oz.Walkerswood Traditional Jerk Seasoning
4 dashes Colgin Mesquite Liquid Smoke, opt.
1/2 tsp. ginger, opt.
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, opt.
1/4 tsp. cloves, opt.
1/4 tsp. all spice, opt.
1 tsp. nutmeg, fresh grated
1 tsp. lime zest, from fresh lime, opt.
1 Tbsp. lime juice, fresh squeezed, opt.
4Tbsp. butter, softened (if grilling)
* Cut chicken into serving size pieces and place in a freezer Ziploc bag, gallon size bag.
* In the Ziploc bag add WALKERSWOOD “mild” jerk seasoning, Colgin Mesquite Liquid Smoke, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, nutmeg, lime zest, lime juice and butter (if grilling), removing as much air from Ziploc bag while sealing to close… squishing the contents inside of the Ziploc, making sure to completely and evenly cover chicken pieces.
* Refrigerate the chicken to marinade for 6 hrs.
*If not Smoking:
Bake 375F for 1 hr. 20 min., and then broil 5 mins.
* If Smoking: Before moving to an apartment, we owned a smoker and smoked the chicken … resulting in a 100% improved tasting chicken! The differences between Baking verse Smoking the chicken in ingredients:
1. Rub the butter (soften) completely covering the chicken pieces before placing in the Ziploc bag. 2. Omit the liquid smoke.
Put the chicken pieces in your smoker and wait for about an hour. After one hour, turn the chicken pieces to cook the other side.
The chicken pieces should be done cooking after about two hours. Use a meat thermometer to check if the chicken pieces are done. Check the temperature of the thickest part of the chicken thigh and make sure that it is about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temperature is 160 degrees Fahrenheit, the chicken pieces are done cooking and you have successfully finished smoking chicken.
NOTE: A little word of advice... I wouldn't recommend marinating overnight; I'll try to put this nicely... It’ll burn like H E double toothpicks going into your mouth! AND yes... coming out the “other” end…. even hotter!!!