Jigarthanda is a cool, refreshing beverage that originated in Madurai, a city in the south of India. Sold by street-side carts all over the city, this drink is a popular and perfect refresher on a hot summer's day. Jigarthanda is a very popular drink in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Jigar means ‘Heart’, Thanda means ‘Cold’ so the special drink is considered soothing to heart. First time I tried jigarthanda in home and its awesome. So I thought to share the recipe to all.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
The main ingredients of jigarthanda recipe are reduced milk, ice cream and two natural coolants i.e, badam pisin and syrup.
Ingredients used here:
- Milk – 1 litre
- Rose syrup
- Badam pisin crystals
- Chocolate chips
- Ice cream
- Can use any syrup as you like
- Can also use Nuts, palkova and Milkmaid.
You cannot find badam pisin at your local market substitute it with china grass or agar agar.
Step 2: Badam Pisin
- Add 2 to 3 Badam pisin stones in a bowl rinse it in water then add water and keep covered undisturbed overnight.
- It will increase in volume, if you see any brown spots then remove it carefully and use the rest.
- You add more water as it grows in volume.
- Usual method to prepare badam pisin mixture takes minimum of 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil 1 litre of milk in a pan for 10-15 minutes in low flame.
- Add sugar to it. Keep stirring it. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer it in a container and refrigerate it.
Step 3: START ASSEMBLING JIGARTHANDA
- Take a glass, add 3 to 4 tbsp of badam pisin mixture to it
- Now add 3 tsp of Rose syrup.
- Add reduced milk to 3/4th of the glass.
- Again add some rose syrup and badam pisin and give it a gentle stir.
- Finally top it with a scoop of ice cream.
- Add some chocolate chips.
Home made super jil jil jigarthanda is ready.
Serve immediately and Enjoy.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017