Are your taste buds begging for a flavorful boost?
Are your creative senses eager to be inspired by the food you eat?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, I have good news for you! I've created a peanut butter sandwich that gives you all greatness of the American classic, but I've made a few awesome adjustments that are sure to appeal to your palette and your waistline. The best part? I've broken the process into 6 simple steps for all culinary levels. So, whether you're a novice or seasoned sandwich maker, you will have no problem following along. Now, the real question is, are you serious about changing your perception of the sandwich world? If the answer is yes, than in just 10 minutes, melty peanut butter, gooey bananas, and a kick of cinnamon all layered between golden slices of bread can be yours!
THE SANDWICH ESSENTIALS:
- Bread (2 slices -- I'm a fan of whole grains and so is your heart)
- Banana (1)
- Peanut butter (Creamy or chunky, it's your call)
- Your favorite sandwich accompaniment (I just happen to be obsessed with carrots)
- Butter knife
- Paper towel
- Dinner plate
Step 1: Step One: Prepare Your Workspace
Now, let's get this party started:
A. Gather all ingredients in workspace
TIP: It’s convenient to have your workspace within reaching distance of the stove top.
B. Position bread side-by-side on the paper towel
C. Slice banana into ¼ inch thick pieces
- WHERE'S THE JELLY? Why eat fake, sugary preservatives when you can add real fruit to your sandwich? Just sayin'. Banana slices are a much more nutritious selection. Plus, bananas are high in fiber, potassium, iron, and actually contain an amino acid known as tryptophan which your body converts to serotonin. In other words, consuming bananas can make you a happier person.
Step 2: Step Two: Build the Sandwich Foundation
B. Evenly coat butter across both slices of bread with a butter knife
C. Place one slice of bread butter side down onto the warm skillet
- You will begin to hear a slight fizzle about 30-45 seconds after placing the slice in the skillet. This means the bread has begun toasting giving you roughly 3 minutes to complete the rest of the steps without over-grilling it.
Step 3: Step Three: Create the Essence of the Sandwich
TIP: It’s easiest to spread PB with a teaspoon once the slice is in the skillet.
B. Place banana pieces on top of the peanut butter
C. Add dollops of peanut butter on top of the rows of banana (Note: This will help the top slice of bread stick to rest of the sandwich)
D. Sprinkle entire sandwich with cinnamon
- SPICE UP YOUR LIFE! I believe a dusting of cinnamon packs the punch this sandwich needs to stand out among rest. Did Lady Gaga become famous because she looked/sounded like every other pop artist? No. The bolder the better. Also, cinnamon is proven to slow down the rate at which your stomach digests food after meals which essentially keeps you feeling fuller longer.
Step 4: Step Four: Close the Sandwich
B. Allow sandwich to grill for 1-2 minutes(Note: This time is dependent on how fast steps 1-3 were completed)
- SNEAK A PEAK! Once the sandwich is closed, you can obtain the most accurate idea of how long your sandwich should continue grilling by using your spatula to take a peak underneath at the work in progress. Once it looks golden brown, than it's time to flip the 'wich.
Step 5: Step Five: Flip the Sandwich
A. Use spatula to flip the sandwich (Note: You will hear a louder fizzle than before once the freshly buttered bread hits the hot skillet)
B. Reduce heat to low (2-3) after 30 seconds
Step 6: Step Six: Enjoy the Sandwich
A. Transfer the sandwich from the skillet to the plate once both sides have reached a golden brown color (Note: Due to the increased temperature of the skillet, the second side should only take about 1 minute to grill)
B. Turn of the stove top burner
C. Pair it with your favorite sandwich accompaniment
CONGRATULATIONS! You have just succeeded in taking your PB sandwich making skills to the next level. You should be proud! Not only have you grilled a masterpiece that Mr. George Foreman himself would be impressed by, but you have also provided your body with twice as many nutrients than the original PB&J. Run and tell that, Doughboy!
I wanted to take this time to thank you for trying my recipe! Please feel free to post any comments, questions, or concerns you may have about my instructable. I'd love to receive feedback about whether or not you loved it, hated it, or altered it for better or for worse.