Intro: How to Make Kazandibi
Kazandibi is a delicious Turkish dessert pudding similar to creme brulee. These simple instructions will guide you in preparing this quick and easy dish using only a few ingredients.
(The name Kazandibi comes from "burnt bottom of the pot" in reference to the caramelized crust created by the bottom of the pot during cooking.)
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients (Figure 1):
- 7 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cups corn starch
(Betty Crocker Gluten Free Rice Flour Blend may be substituted in place of rice flour and starch)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 5 drops vanilla extract
- 1/8 cups margarine or butter (for greasing)
Step 2: Tools
- Measuring cups (Figure 3)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) required
- 1 cup (240 mL) also recommended
(a wooden spoon will help protect your skillet)
Step 3: Safety
Please observe the following warnings while preparing Kazandibi.
- Cooking can be an artful process. Make sure you allow ample room to work free of hazards.
- Hot surfaces may produce burns upon contact. Do not handle hot surfaces with your bare hands.
- Use caution as range may produce open flame or very hot element. Do not leave objects or ingredients near the heating range.
- Users with applicable food allergies should not prepare or ingest Kazandibi.
Step 4: Flour Mixture
Flour mixture (Figure 4):
Preparation time: 3-4 minutes
Using rice flour and corn starch:
- Combine 1 cup milk with 3/4 cups rice flour in medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Continue to mix while adding 1/4 cup corn starch.
- Attempt to reduce lumps by mixing well until the mixture is thick and creamy.
Using Betty Crocker Rice Flour Blend (Optional):
- Combine 1 cup milk with 1 cup Betty Crocker Rice Flour Blend in medium mixing bowl.
- Continue mixing until thick and creamy.
Step 5: Pudding Mixture
Preparation time: ~10 minutes
- Add 6 cups milk and 1 cup sugar to the large mixing pot (Figure 5).
- Heat on medium-high to bring mixture to a slow boil, stirring frequently until the sugar is completely dissolved.
*Warning: Mixture should not boil rapidly. Remember to keep stirring so that milk does not burn.*
- Once mixture is at a slow boil, add 5 drops of vanilla and stir.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring continuously as pudding mixture will quickly thicken.
- Continue stirring pudding mixture for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat (Figure 6).
- Cover with foil and set aside.
Step 6: Sugar Coating
Preparation Time: 2-3 minutes
- Grease the surface of the cast iron skillet with 1/8 cup butter or margarine as shown in Figure 7.
- Using a spoon, carefully sprinkle powdered sugar evenly on the greased surface of the skillet. Use a quick and controlled side-to-side motion to apply sugar evenly (Figure 8).
Tip: Use the bottom of the spoon to smooth any gaps in the sugar coating.
- The bottom of the pan should be completely covered in a thin layer of sugar (~1/8 in. or 3 mm) as shown in Figure 9.
Step 7: Caramelized Crust
Preparation time: ~10 minutes
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium high until sugar begins bubbling (Figure 10).
- Once most of the sugar is dark orange, pour 1/3 of the pudding mixture into the skillet to create an even layer of crust (~1/4 in. or 6 mm thick).
Tip: For convenience, you may transfer the pudding mixture to a Pyrex measuring cup to pour as shown in Figure 11.
- Reduce heat and allow pudding and sugar to boil together.
Tip: for best results use a thin and even layer of pudding.
- Once black or amber bubbles begin to penetrate the pudding surface, turn heat off and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes as shown in Figure 12.
Step 8: Putting It All Together
Putting it all together:
Preparation time: overnight
- Once the crust in the skillet has cooled, pour the remaining pudding mixture on top to form an even layer, as shown in Figure 13.
*Warning: the bottom crust is very fragile and should not be disturbed for any reason.*
- Allow mixture to cool, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into squares and serve crust side up using plastic spatula.
Your delicious Kazandibi is finished. Enjoy!