Introduction: Keep the Christmas Lights ON
My wife and I have an outside patio with a manual light switch to turn the light on and off. We decided to attach Christmas lights to it via a light-bulb to outlet adapter and timer, which means we need to keep the light switch ON over the holidays. This instructable will show you how to do this, without any serious electrical work. You will need:
- A screwdriver.
- Masking tape.
- Bag tie.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Face Plate
In this step:
- Temporarily place some tape right under the light switch in the ON position (flipped up).
- Remove the light switch's face-plate and leave only the top screw right above the tape.
Step 2: Wire
You will need a piece of wire for this instructable. In this step:
- Find a solid piece of wire. I used a bag-tie or wire-tie with a metal core.
- Remove the outside insulation. With a bag tie, you can use your finger nail to strip insulation.
Step 3: Bend Wire
In this step, form the wire. This wire will hold the light switch in the ON position:
- Form the square base at the bottom and position it just at where the masking tape marks the bottom of the switch.
- Tape the wire down to hold it in place.
- Bend the wire around the top screw.
- Loop the wire onto itself to close the loop.
Step 4: Finish
In this step, reassemble the switch with the support loop:
- Place the support loop over the screw.
- Screw the face plate back on.
Now, the light switch will be fixed ON and nobody can accidentally turn it off until you remove the support loop.