Intro: Key & Letter Holder Made From a Reclaimed Toboggan
The wooden toboggan has numerous aesthetic elements. Its raw material and its forming process give a special value to this object. It represents happy memories of winter time, especially here in Canada. I tried to use its existing elements to create a unique piece for the small entrance hall at my home.
The final result is more than just a key and letter holder. It's also a chalkboard and most of all, an object of discussion !
This is the perfect simple project for winter time. Put your favourite Christmas music on and start this project !
Original idea - Anne Claude
Step 1: Stuff You'll Need
- A broken or unused wooden toboggan, I found mine at the local thrift store for less than 10$.
- A long cord: red colour makes a great visual contrast with wood.
- Few hooks
- A power drill with drill bits
- A beam detector
- A screwdriver
- Chalkboard or chalk paint + MDF board
Step 2: Clean the Toboggan
Remove any undesirable parts that still hang on the toboggan;
Remove all stickers;
Remove old cord;
You can choose to sand or not.
Also optional: apply a finishing product.
I kept mine as it was. I like the rustic feel of its imperfect varnish.
Step 3: Design You Cord Pattern
Use the existing holes on the toboggan to create a pattern that will be both functional and aesthetically appealing.
Step 4: Install on the Wall
- Locate a wooden beam with your beam detector and mark its emplacement on the wall
- Drill holes on each wooden crosspiece of your toboggan. These holes must be aligned.
- Use screws to fix your new letter holder on the wall.
Step 5: Addons
You can modify the design by adding some new features.
I installed few metal hooks on a crosspiece for my keys.
I added a chalkboard on the upper segment of the toboggan.
I would suggest to add some pockets to store small objects.
Step 6: Start Using It !
You will discover new possibilities by using it.
The "one last thing" of this object is the curve at the bottom. It presents the opportunity of creating a journal rack. It can also fits many other function like a basket for mittens and beanies to stay in the winter theme.
Install it upside down and you get a whole new concept !
Step 7: Final Result
First Prize in the