I'm a highly trained nerd with a PhD in Biomedical Engineering but I also happen to be from Florida originally. On a recent trip back home, we grabbed a bottle of the good stuff: Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice. There's no better time to turn this nectar of the sun-soaked, citrus gods into a pie than on Pi Day!
My favorite hobby is working on new DIY projects for the blog I write with my BFF. We’re two best friends living a thousand miles apart. We love the homesteading lifestyle and all things DIY and handmade. As apartment renting city dwellers with full time jobs, we are constantly looking for creative new ways to be more self-sufficient. Check us out at www.hipsteaders.com.
Today, we'll share with you our recipe for homemade Keylime Pi.
Step 1: Crust
12 graham crackers
5 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Using a food processor or a large zip-top bag and something heavy, crush graham crackers into tiny pieces.
3. Add sugar and salt. Mix to combine.
4. Add melted butter and mix until well incorporated.
5. Firmly press this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan.
6. Bake until golden brown, approximately 13 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. This step feels like it takes forever but it's important.
Step 2: Filling
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F (or leave it on from Step 1).
2. Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour filling into pie shell.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Step 3: Put a Pi on It
edible glitter or sugar
Here's the fun part. Print out the template. Cut out the black pieces so that you have two templates: one with a key-shaped hole and another with a pi-shaped hole. Cut around the dotted line on the ellipse. Place the templates on your pie. Sprinkle edible glitter or sugar on top. Carefully remove templates. Place a lime slice in the middle.
Step 4: Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1. Put 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream.
3. Whisk or beat with a mixer until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
4. Pipe or spoon around the edges of your pie.
That's it! Enjoy your Keylime Pi!
Participated in the
Serious Eats Pi Day Pie Contest