Introduction: Klingon Meditation and Reflection Box AKA Kahless Shrine
The Klingon Meditation and Reflection Box was seen in the Star Trek TNG in TNG episodes Rightful Heir and Firstborn episodes in Worfs Quarters it is known as a Kahless Shrine.
I am very into Klingons and thought making one of these for one of my fallen members in House Vampyr would be appropriate for a memorial. We have used it since which saddens me, but thought others might find this useful as well.
The first image is the one from Worf's Room, the second image is my completed one.
Step 1: Klingon Meditation Box - Materials
These will be the four sides.
1 in. x 6 in. x 6 ft. S4S Poplar Board (2-Pack)
These will be the frame for the doors.
½” X 2” X 24” poplar boards
This is for the Back and Doors
Sande Plywood (Common: 1/4 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft.; Actual: 0.205 in. x 23.75 in. x 47.75 in.)
Step 2: Klingon Meditation Box - Box
I started by making the sides. I took the 1 in. x 6 in. x 6 ft. S4S Poplar Board (2-Pack). and cut them as follows.
1. Cut 2 - 1/2" X 6" X 24"
2. Cut 2 - 1/2" X 6" X 18"
3. Cut 1/2" Rabbet Joints on the Top and bottom for the Sides to fit into.
4. Cut 1/4" Rabbet Joints on one side(BackSide) of the boards so that the back can fit into the rabbet joint.
5. Nail and Glue Sides, and nail the back into the rabbit.
Step 3: Klingon Meditation Box - Doors
1. To create the Doors I used ½ ” X 2” X 24” poplar boards with a 7/32 Dado cut out dead center.
2. I also cut a 1/2" notch in the Side boards to make a tighter joint. As can be seen.
3. Nail and Glue, but leave the inserts to float inside the dado.
Step 4: Klingon Meditation Box - Upper Detail
Using left over ½ ” X 2” X 24” poplar board I cut a detail for the top of the box. The design can be anything but it helps strengthen the box, so I recommend it.
Step 5: Klingon Meditation Box - Paint and Assemble
Before you assemble paint it some Klingon Color. I had some gloss black so I used it.
Assemble Box together.
Step 6: Klingon Meditation Box - Gather Kahless
I lined the bottom with some black fake fur, I didn't have any real fur.
One of the House VamPyr members "DoQ" created the Kahless statue. I should do an instructable on that next.
Gather Kahless and other Klingonish Shrine things.
Meditate as needed.
Participated in the
Box Contest 2017