Hello everyone. This is my knex usb. It uses the USB of a wireless network usb, which is slightly bigger than normal USB's, but this is easily modifyable to fit your size USB.
This isnt exactly the sleekest or most prettiest of USB's, but it sure is cool. On my version of it I used silicone to make the edges flat, and i also cut blue rods to make it smooth. However, not of the blue rods need to be cut, and the sillicone isnt nessacery, but it helps.
This is my third entry for the Back to School contest, so if you like it, please vote for it when
(PS. I give some credit to Jollex for this idea.)
Thanks for viewing, please rate, comment. subscribe and vote!
Step 1: Getting Your USB
- Get your USB and a small flathead screwdriver or a knife.
- Another view of what you need
- Slide the screwdriver or knife into a slit in the casing
- Pry the case open and take off the lid.
- Now take your USB out the bottom half of the case. If it is stuck with glue you may have to pull a little harder.
Step 2: Measuring It Up
- Take your usb and lay it on a surface
- Take some knex and measure out, and experiment with different lengths of knex, such as 2 orange connectors, an orange and a grey, 2 greys, ect. 2 orange connectors were a perfect fit for me.
- Now find how many of those you will need to cover 1 whole side of the USB, i used 4 rows of orange connectors.
- A close-up
Got your measurments? Cool, head to the next step!
Step 3: Making the Case
- From the pieces you made in step 2, add a blue rod through the hole for it to fit on.
- Add your side panels onto the blue rods like so
- Just quickly check your USB fits into the slot
- Add on the top/lid of the thing. It is the same as the bottom piece, except the blue rods are clipped into the connectors at the side like shown.
Step 4: Keeping It in Place
This step it optional. Here i added silicone to keep the USB in place. This will not matter to some people as the USB may already be firmly in place within the housing. But if you want to make it firm, follow this step.
- Take everything you have made so far apart, leaving on side of the casing in like shown.
- Grab your silicone gun, or whatever silicone thing you have.
- What silicone i have.
- Put a big splodge of it in the casing
- Line the USB up where you want it to go
- Push it into the silicone firmly, dont worry about all the bits of silicone that has squidged out the sides. (sorry about the dark picture)
- Put another big splodge ontop of the USB
- Get the top of it
- Place it ontop of the casing
- Fully push it down.
One more step =)
Step 5: Smoothing Down the Sides
- Put a splodge of silicone on each connector, a small amount will do
- SPread it even across the connectors, filling the holes, therefore making it smooth.
- Put some silicone on the end of it and smooth that out too
- Repeat the splodges on the other side too
- I put a little bit of silicone around the USB tip just for added strength.
Yay! You are finished.
Step 6: Finished!
Hooray! You have finished making your super cool awesome fantastic brand new KNEX USB! Woooooo!
ANyways, i really hope you enjoyed building your USB.When you get the chance, please vote for this, comment on this, rate this, and subscribe to me if you like my stuff!
Thanks for viewing
Finalist in the
Back to School Contest