Introduction: LED Star
1. felt star (cut from template)
3. battery holder - "E" tab is positive)
Optional materials: needle threader, pliers, embroidery floss, stuffing
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Test LED
Sandwich the battery with the LED legs. The longer leg of the LED touches the writing side of the battery. Your LED should turn on!
Step 2: Twist LED Legs
Twist the LED legs into loops to make the LED sewable: make the longer leg into a larger loop to indicate that it is positive.
Step 3: Sew Positive Side
Place the LED on the star. Sew the positive LED leg to the star with conductive thread and connect it to the positive side of the battery holder. Cut thread.
Step 4: Sew the Negative Side
Sew the negative LED leg to the star with conductive thread. Connect it to the negative side of the battery holder. Cut thread.
Step 5: Light Up Your Star!
Insert the battery into battery holder. Your star should light up!
Step 6: Troubleshooting
- Does your LED not turn on?
- Is the positive side of the LED (long leg) connected to the positive side of the battery (tab)?
- Is the negative side of the LED (short leg) connected to the negative side of the battery?
- Is the positive side of the battery connected the negative side using conductive thread? Cut it.
- Is the positive side of the LED connected the negative side using conductive thread? Cut it.
- Does your LED flicker?
- Tighten down your stitches
Step 7: Optional Steps
Make your star an ornament! Sew a second star to the first star; sew around the edges with embroidery floss. Make a loop so you can hang it!
Make your star a plush! Place a second star and stuffing over the LED. Sew around the edges with embroidery floss.