In this instructable you will learn to make a sensornode that sends data to a LORA server. This node will send:
- Air temperature
- Humidity sensor
You can use this instructable to make a node that you can use as a server.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Needed
Step 2: Making the Antenna
For the antenna I use some leftover cable of my 2x2x0.8mm or 2x2 20awg bus cable.
On the things network you can choose your tranceiver and antenna frequency band by country.
These are the lengths per frequencie:
- 868mhz 3.25 inches or 8.2 cm (this is the one I use)
- 915mhz 3 inches or 7.8 cm
- 433mhz 3 inches or 16.5cm
Step 3: Soldering the Esp Shield
- Remove the resistors of the esp shield (see R1 to R3 in the red field)
- Solder the rfm95 chip onto the esp shield.
- Solder the pinheaders onto the esp shield
- Solder the antenna onto the esp shield. Don't use without an antenna you can damage the shield.
- If the pinheaders aren't soldered onto the arduino solder these too
Step 4: Coding
I know I can use the DTR to automatically reset the arduino but in my case I had errors uploading the code. Therefore I also used a manual reset in this instructable so if you have the same problem you can solve it by a manual reset.
- Wire the arduino to the CP2102 as following:
- CP2102 txd -> Arduino pro mini rx
- CP2102 rxd -> Arduino pro mini tx
- CP2102 gnd -> Arduino pro mini gnd
- CP2102 3.3 -> Arduino pro mini vcc
Step 5: Wiring
- Wire the arduino as in the sketch above
- Your arduino should now send data to the server node.
The AM2305 actually is a 3 wire sensor so you don't need the resistor. Just wire the sensor as in the picture above. The colours are the same. If you use the DHT22 instead you need to connect a 10k resistor between the red (5V) and yellow (data) wires.
Step 6: Conclusion
In this instructable you have learned to make a sensor who sends data to a LORA gateway. It sends the temperature and the humidity of by example a greenhouse. This way you can monitor your environment and you can plan the planting of your vegetables using this data. Also you can use this sensor to decide when to open a window or to start a fan.