Introduction: Lady Loki Halloween Costume
A few years ago for Halloween we decided that we would build a Lady Loki costume. We did some research and took a lot of creative license on our approach to the costume. Here is how we created our look.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: SHOPPING LIST!
There were a few things we had to purchase for the costume:
- BLACK WIG
- GOLD JEWELRY
- EVA FOAM
- SPRAY PAINT
- 3M MASKS
- SAND PAPER
- PVC PIPE
- FOAM BALL
- PUSH PINS
Here were the tools we used:
- SEWING MACHINE
- HEAT GUN
- SAFETY GLASSES
- MIXING BOWL
Step 2: Sewing the Costume
We purchased Green Fabric 2 Yards, Yellow Fabric 1 Yard, Fur 3 yards. We designed each section of the costume by making paper cut outs to size based on a torso dummy we had made of Heidi's torso. This was to try and get good fit. We then transferred the paper shape to the fabric with chalk. Once all of the pieces were traced we cut them out a little wider than the template to give me room to hem the edge. As pieces were complete we pinned them to the dummy to verify fit before sewing them together.
Step 3: Creating the Breast Plates
We used EVA foam to create the breast plates. This was actually a pretty fun process. Using a bra we measured the necessary cup size and cut the flat shapes. Then using a heat gun we warmed the material until it was pliable and used a bowl to round and shape the form. We used a grinder to smooth the edges. Once the pieces were formed we wanted to have some type of detailing on them other than just solid pieces so we affixed patterned thinner pieces that we cut out using an exacto knife. Then we sprayed them with gold spray paint and then hand painted the detail to let it stand out even more. We affixed them with hot glue to the bodice and then made sure it all fit by dressing the dummy.
Step 4: Making the Staff
The staff was created from PVC and foam using a similar process to the breast plates. Because the material was multi colored and needed to painted we used plasti dip to ensure the paint would adhere. Once the plasti dip was cured we painted the staff gold and silver. Then we glued a foam ball to the inside of the staff and painted in blue. This end result was a light weight version of Loki's staff based on the avengers movie. (don't mind Ben's socks in the photos)
Step 5: Making the Headpiece
Because the horns needed hold a significant shape we purchased toy foam swords that had wire embedded in them. We cut the handles off of the swords and glued them to the foam formed head piece. To adjust the size we used a foam head to make sure of fit and applied elastic to it so Heidi could wear it. Similar to the staff we used plasti dip to make sure the paint would adhere and then sprayed the whole piece gold.
Step 6: Putting It All Together
The final steps were to make the cape and then put it all on. We chose black pants instead of a skirt and boots to finish off the costume.