Introduction: Large Outdoor Cat Run House- Kennel for Around $100
I have a cat that has a taste for the outdoors. The thought of him roaming around kills me. I don't want him getting mauled, trapped, or bringing back strange sicknesses for my other cat. So I thought instead of putting up with his complaining in the house, I could send him out to a safe outdoor house where he won't feel so much like he's in a cage.
There are a lot of expensive options and there are a handful of small cheap options. But as you know, if you have pets, most pet products are marked up like crazy and I knew I could do better by repurposing something.
What you need:
- 6x6x6 Outdoor greenhouse from Harbor Freight (~$100) ( http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-x-6-ft-greenhouse-97439.html )
- Chicken wire / fencing (only 6ft necessary but I only had a 50ft roll available)
Reasons I chose this greenhouse as the base
- Reinforced poly walls (because my cat has his claws and may want to claw out.
- Painted steel frame nice and rigid
- Large enough to add perches as well as for me to walk in
- Lightweight / Easy to move
- Watertight Roof over their heads to protect from rain
Basically all I needed to do was take a utility knife to the perimeter of one of the poly panels, creating a flap that I then pinned up. I covered the new opening with wide hole chicken wire (using a ton of zip-ties) to give them a view.
Make sure the soil around the footprint is level otherwise there may be gaps where fluff-fluff could crawl under. Fill with fill or rocks perhaps.