My sister taught me how to make these and I thought they were pretty cool, so I decided to make an Instructable on them. They look awesome and kids love them. Bonus; you don't have to settle for one flavour of drink.
Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the Play With Your Food Contest!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Need:
- Different coloured drinks with different sugar contents; I will cover this more in the next step (to make the red, white and blue drink I used cranberry juice, Brisk lemonade, and Cool Blue Gatorade)
- A glass
- Ice cubes (the smaller the cubes the better, I found)
Step 2: Selecting the Drinks
- For this to work properly, you need to select at least 2 drinks with different sugar contents. The amount of sugar in the drink affects its density; The more sugary a drink, the more dense it is. This means that the beverage with the most sugar will form the bottom layer of the drink. I found this really helpful; it lists the sugar content of most soft drinks.
- Find out the sugar content of each drink per 250ml (about 8oz). You need a difference of around 10g of sugar between each drink; the greater the difference the better.
- Here's the sugar content of my drinks per 250ml: cranberry juice:33g
Step 3: Combining the Drinks
- Fill your glass with ice cubes; the smaller the cubes, the better.
- Fill about 1/3 of the glass with the drink with the highest sugar content (cranberry juice).
- Wait for the first drink to settle, then pour the drink with the second highest sugar content (Brisk lemonade) into the glass until it is about 2/3 full.
- Fill the remaining 1/3 of the glass with the drink with the lowest sugar content (Gatorade).
- The layers should be floating on top of each other, not mixing with each other at all or barely mixing.
- Experiment with other drinks! I would love to see what you can come up with.
(The blue and green layered drink is Mountain Dew for the bottom half and Gatorade for the top half)
1 Person Made This Project!
cassie4life made it!