Introduction: Leftover Turkey Casserole
Do you get tired eating all of those leftover turkey sandwiches for the week or two after Thanksgiving? Me too. This year I thought I'd switch things up a bit and try making a casserole with my leftover bread, turkey and gravy. You may recognize some of the basics in this recipe as a classic Stovetop Chicken Bake, but modified to work with the leftovers I had on hand.
This year, I cooked with my older daughter who was having a Friendsgiving with 4 of her besties. I have no idea how this happened, but somehow she committed to making the turkey, the gravy and the mashed potatoes. Her logic... if we make the mashed potatoes, we have to make the gravy and we can't make gravy without making the turkey.
Wow. Really? Couldn't we have just brought a dessert?
- Leftover bread or rolls
- 1 cup turkey gravy
- 4 oz shredded turkey
- 1 package Stovetop Turkey Stuffing mix
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 can Healthy Request Campbell's Cream of Chicken (has lower sodium)
- 4 oz water
- Spray bottom of 8x10 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a layer of bread on the bottom of the dish. If using leftover rolls, tear or cut them to about 1 inch thickness.
- Pour turkey gravy over bread
- Add a layer of shredded turkey
- Mix up your stuffing for the top layer: In a separate mixing bowl, combine: - Stuffing mix, sour cream, soup and water - Mix well to combine and be sure all of stuffing is moistened - Layer stuffing mix on top of shredded turkey
- Cook 30 minutes at 375, uncovered until last 5 to 10 minutes. If it's browning too much, cover with foil. Serve with extra gravy. If you were lucky enough to end up with even MORE leftover turkey gravy, it's awesome to serve some at the table so your family can pour a little more over the top of your awesome creation.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Build Your Layers - Starting With Bread
Spray bottom of 8x10 inch baking dish with cooking spray.Place a layer of bread on the bottom of the dish. If using leftover rolls, tear or cut them to about 1 inch thickness. I used my recipe for Amazing Buttered Onion Rolls for this bread and used a loaf of frozen Rhodes bread rather than the rolls.
Step 2: Add Turkey Gravy
Step 3: Layer of Shredded Turkey
Step 4: Add Layer of Stuffing Mixed With Condensed Soup, Sour Cream and Water
In a separate bowl, combine the Stovetop stuffing mix, condensed soup, sour cream and water, then layer it over the top.
Step 5: Bake and Enjoy!
If you were lucky enough to end up with even MORE leftover turkey gravy, it's awesome to serve some at the table so your family can pour a little more over the top of this casserole.