Tart lemon curd with a sugary cookie crust. Makes two 5 inch pies or one 10 inch.
Sugar Cooke Pie Crust (I am not a fan of pastry crusts with sweet pies, but you can substitute one here)
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Lemon Curd Filling
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
Step 1: Preparing the Crust
1. Cream the butter, sugar, and egg yolk in a bowl.
2. Slowing mix in the flour to form a crumbly mixture.
3. Press into a greased pie dish and poke with a fork to prevent bubbles. Use a pie shield or tin foil to avoid the overly browned edges you see in the photos.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Step 2: Preparing the Curd
1. Zest the lemons into a large bowl. Make sure to only grate the yellow skin and not the bitter white pith under it. Mix thoroughly with the sugar.
2. Add the softened butter and cream.
3. Slowly add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
4. Juice the lemons to achieve 1/2 cup of liquid. Strain the seeds and pulp if needed.
5. Add the lemon juice to the egg mixture along with the salt and mix well.
6. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and begin to heat over low heat. Stir constantly.
Step 3: Finishing Up
1.Allow the mixture to heat up to near a simmer, until it thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before pouring into the prepared crust.
Serve after the curd sets to room temperature! You can substitute most citrus fruits (oranges, limes, grapefruit) to make different curds if you don't like lemon.