Introduction: Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
Very yummy lemon and poppy seed muffins. These are wonderful with a cup of tea, especially after a poopy day at work....sigh, little muffins of heavenly healing. NOM NOM NOM
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Put 85g of unsalted butter, (at room tempeture), 245g caster sugar, 3 table spoons of lemon juice, and 15g poppy seeds into a mixer. Beat until everything is well mixed - dont worry if it looks split, this is normal.
- SLOWLY add 165ml of fresh whole milk, and continue to mix.
Step 2: Step 2
- In a seperate bowl, sift 235g plain flour and 2 teaspoons baking power.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Now add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 lots. Beat well until all ingredients are well incorpotated, and the mixture is light and fluffy.
Step 3: Step 3
- In a separate bowl, whisk 3 egg whites with a handheld egg whisk, until stiff peaks form.
(see tip on egg pic for my method of how to seperate eggs)
- Using a METAL spoon fold the egg whites into the cake mixture, be gentle, you dont want to knock all the air out of the eggs.
- once all is mixed well put mixture into 12 muffin cases.
-bake into the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
Step 4: Step 4
- Once you removed your muffins from the oven leave your muffins in the tin for about 10 mintues. The remove and allow to cool on a wire rack