Introduction: Lets Make a Anti Allergen Vacuum Cleaner (Genesis-like)
That's a pic of a store bought vacuum cleaner...
So, What is this ible actually about then?
This is a mod to change the way it works slightly.
In stead of using the original paper replaceable filter element, it now uses nothing but water.
A bit cheaper to replace, and filtering the air really well without using crucial sucking power. It make use of the sucking, but don't affect it, like a dirty paper filter would.
Why even do this?
I had a Genesis vacuum cleaner, and It worked really well.
It burned out, and is very expensive in my opinion.
It also has a few built in flaws that annoyed me.
It was expensive, but made cheaply. The body cracked and broke.
Thus I went and bought this inexpensive vacuum cleaner from a secondhand shop.
It has even a feature the Genesis didn't had. This one can suck, and blow.
The original just sucked. And that's a pun intended.
The idea is, instead of a paper filter,
the air intake (which you use to suck dust with)
enters the main body, and the air gets released below a body of water.
It will bubble and splash around wildly and the entire action will help make sure that the water trap all the dust perfectly.
No paper needed anymore.
Empty the water, refill and you're good to go.
As an additional bonus, the cleaner will suck at full strength the entire time.
Dust filters can clog up and reduce the sucking strength.
So, if you like the idea, and need a better vacuum cleaner, Take a look and see if this is to your liking.
Enter the fray.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Main Ingredients, Equipment and Safety
Well, this is rather straight forward.
50 mm PVC 90 degree bend
40 mm PVC connection joint
a short piece 50mm PVC pipe
a short piece 40mm PVC pipe
a working vacuum cleaner
a 5 liter bucket (depending on your vacuum cleaner)
a saw of some kind to shorten the PVC pipe with
a glue of some kind to stick stuff together (I used PRP, you'll see what it is later on)
something to make a few holes with in the bucket
Step 2: R U Baboon?
What are you thinking?
You can not change the way vacuum cleaners operate.
This is all hypothetical and should not be tried at all.
Step 3: All That Is Broken Is Not Scrap
Gather all the pieces for preparation.
Cut the pipe so that it don't have broken or split ends.
It should at least be without holes or cracks. If there are and its not in a strategic place to remove, fix it.
Step 4: Starting the Mod
Remove the Black piece, where the vacuum pipe fits into.
My pipe is broken and didn't fit into the vacuum pipe fitting anymore, so I had to mod it to fit.
This is also the crucial piece to direct the airflow to the water.
A 50 mm PVC pipe almost fit, so after I took of a few millimeters off from the inside, It fit perfectly.
Step 5: The Integral Part
Use Cyanoacrylate, and Sodium hydrogen carbonate and fix the 40mm to the 50mm FOREVER.
This is where the vacuum pipe fits into.
The methodology of the glue is explained extensively in my introduction right here.
Step 6: Fixing the Pipe
Put a 40mm connection junction on the end of the pipe.
PRP to make it permanent.
It now can be removed at will, fitting snugly, and tight enough to pull the vacuum cleaner around by the pipe - like vacuum cleaners should be handled.
It removes easily with a twist of the wrist.
Step 7: Putting It Together
Fit the bendy parts and fasten it.
Add water up to the bottom opening of the pipe
In the last shot there is already too much water.
it should be just submerged maybe 3 mm.
Step 8: Splash Proof the Electric Parts
Use a big bucket.
Remove the filter from the motorised top.
Add the bucket to the motor.
Make plenty holes in the bucket. Not too big, but big enough to enable it to drain easily if water gets inside.
Step 9: Testing 1 2 3 Beware. Gross Pics Up.
After I vacuumed some of the grossest surfaces I could find, I must say I'm really happy with the result.
After removing the bucket, its clear that the water didn't come close to the electrical parts.
The water never went really high.
The mod captured dust and all manner of gross things really really well.
While vacuuming, I didn't smell dust coming out of the machine. (I'm allergic, I'd know)
As can be seen, The splashing was really vigorous and exiting. This is good.
The machine sucked very well, its a lower wattage motor then my Genesis was, but I feel it does a job that's highly comparable, maybe even better cos the body is of better quality than the original.
I still have to fix a few minor things.
The motor top fits loosely, one side of the attachment was broken, so it will vacuum better once it's fixed.
All in all, for around 200 Rand /15 dollars (everything included, vacuum cleaner also!) this mod was worth the time and money, in my opinion.
Participated in the
Spring's Coming Contest