Life of an Old Timber

We had an old timbers and logs which were stored on the air. They lied down outside the house for several years.

When we decided to do the interior design in marine style - we wanted these logs. We did stairs from timber and beams of the stairs from the logs. Unfortunately I don't have photoes of these logs and timbers from the very beginning of our project, but firstly we cleaned them with carpenter's plane (we have electric one). After that we sealed up all the slits with special plastic wood filler. Then we took a grinding machine and sand the wood step-by-step with sanding paper by 80-100-250-500-2000 grit.

After achieving the necessary smothness of the wood we used wood preservative, after drying we coated wood by woodstain (two coats), and finally - three coats of furniture varnish. Between the layers of woodstain we sanded again with sand paper of high grit (2000 or even more if you have). It provides the super smothness of the varnish.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Reclaimed Wood Contest 2016

Participated in the
Reclaimed Wood Contest 2016

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Book Character Costume Challenge

      Book Character Costume Challenge
    • Made with Math Contest

      Made with Math Contest
    • Cardboard Speed Challenge

      Cardboard Speed Challenge

    6 Discussions

    None
    Shmelkagilbequick

    Reply 3 years ago

    Oh, I forgot to say - before glueing the rope into the wood you should roll up the ends of the rope with kind of adhesive tape or electrical tape - in order the rope not to disheveled.

    None
    Shmelkagilbequick

    Reply 3 years ago

    Oh, I forgot to say - before glueing the rope into the wood you should roll up the ends of the rope with kind of adhesive tape or electrical tape - in order the rope not to disheveled.

    None
    Shmelkagilbequick

    Reply 3 years ago

    The rope goes through the middle beam and at the ends we glued it into the wood with transparant glue putty and after it had dried up - I cut the excesses.