Litter Genie is a convenient way to collect cat waste until you can properly dispose of it out of your residence. The device is rather inexpensive however they get you on the consumables. The Litter Genie refill states directly on the label that it is 14 feet. Another similar product, Diaper Genie, but marketed for baby diapers uses a round refill and it can be made to fit in the Litter Genie system as this Intructables will show. I suspected and verified by opening the Diaper Genie refill that it is over 21 feet, so you get more bag material and it generally costs less than the Litter Genie refill. The only drawbacks I found are that the Diaper Genie’s round opening is slightly smaller and the bag material seems a little thinner. I’ve gone through several Diaper Genie refills and never had a problem.
Step 1: Required Items
- (2) empty Litter Genie refills
- Box cutter or hobby knife
- Super glue or hot melt glue
- Diaper Genie refill (for measurement and for actual use)
- one or more cats (not really required but why not)
Step 2: Prepare the Empty Litter Genie Refills
WARNING: The required cutting of the empty refills is very dangerous, please use caution.
- Cut one empty Litter Genie refill on the bottom leaving a lip of the flat area.
- On the same refill cut the upper lip off.
- On the second empty refill cut the entire bottom off.
Step 3: Start Construction
- Place the second refill into the first refill.
- Place the Diaper Genie refill inside to measure the height of the adapter.
- Tape the two Litter Genie refills so that Diaper Genie sits slightly below the top and be sure to level it all around. (if the Diaper Genie sits too high the rim lid of the Litter Genie system may not be able to close.)
Step 4: Complete Construction
- As long as the tape holds you can test fit it inside of the Litter Genie system.
- Remove the Diaper Genie refill and glue the two Litter Genie refills at the measured height.
Step 5: Use the Adapter
- Once the glue is set the adapter is ready for use with Diaper Genie refills.
- Place the adapter into the Litter Genie system as you would normally insert the refill.
- Now place the Diaper Genie refill into the adapter and close the rim lid.
- Change refills less often and hopefully save a little money.