Here is my recipe for Liver and Bacon in Onion gravy, one of my favourite comfort foods.and only takes about 30 minutes to make. Liver isn't everyones cup of tea but if you like the look of whats on the plate give it a try.
This should feed 4 people if you serve it with plenty of creamy mashed potatoes and garden vegetables, I usually uses Peas or Carrots.
Step 1: Ingredients and Method
- 450g lambs liver, sliced
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 20g butter
- sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, fairly thinly sliced
- 3 rindless lean back bacon cut into thin strips
- 500ml of water
- beef stock cube
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the liver in cold water and drain it well on kitchen paper.
- Put 3 teaspoons of the flour in a large bowl and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Add the liver to the bowl and turn it in the flour until lightly coated.
- Melt half the butter with the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the Liver for 1–2 minutes on each side until lightly browned then put them to one side.
- Melt the remaining butter in the same pan. Add the Onion and cook for a few minutes until it starts to soften. Next, add the Bacon and cook together for another 5 minutes or until the Onion is softened and golden brown.
- Mix the stock cube with 1/2 a pint of boiling water and let it cool for a minute.
- Sprinkle the remaining table spoon of flour on the Bacon and Onions and stir in.
- Pour the beef stock into the pan and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer until the gravy starts to thicken up.
- Put the Liver pieces back in the pan for a few minutes to warm them through.
- Serve with lots of mash and veg