In this instructable I will show you how you can make fried cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice is easy to make and low carb. It's a good substitute for regular fried rice that you can eat if you want some variety or are following a keto diet.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Overview
To make low carb fried rice you can’t use any of the regular rice as it has a lot of starch and as a result a lot of carbohydrates. Cauliflower is a great substitute for regular rice. It has no starch, hardly any carbohydrates and can be turned into rice in seconds.
Beside cauliflower the fried is made using the following ingredients: eggs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, soy sauce, scallion, chili pepper (optional).
You start with washing the cauliflower and and cut the florets. Then grate the florets either by a hand grater or using a food processor. I prefer the food processor as you only need to pulse it a couple of time until you cauliflower turned into white rice. Set it aside.
Heat a frying pan, wok or skillet with oil and pan fry your minced bell pepper, onion and garlic until translucent.
Optionally you can add some minced chili pepper when you like some heat. Then add the grated cauliflower rice and stir it through the onion, bell pepper mix.
Either use a separate pan or make room for your eggs in the wok or skillet. Whisk the eggs and turn them into scrambled eggs and stir them through the cauliflower rice as well. Now add some soy sauce and make sure the rice is covered by the soy sauce. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes then decorate with sliced scallions. Ready to serve.
Step 2: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the fried cauliflower rice? Then watch the 1-minute instruction video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
For four persons you need the following ingredients:
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 scallion
- 1 chilli pepper (optional)
Step 4: Instructions
- Cut the florets from the cauliflower and grate into fine white cauliflower rice. Set aside
- Heat a frying pan, wok or skillet with oil and pan fry your minced bell pepper, onion and garlic until translucent
- Add the grated cauliflower rice and stir it through the onion, bell pepper mix. Optional add some minced chilli pepper if you like your rice more hot.
- Whisk the eggs and make scrambled eggs
- Stir the scrambled eggs through the cauliflower rice as well
- Then add the soy sauce and make sure the rice is covered by the soy sauce
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes then decorate with sliced scallions. Ready to serve
Step 5: Notes
Tips for getting perfect cauliflower rice:
- Do not grate the cauliflower to finely as it will turn into a puree instead of rice. You still want the definition of rice. So when using a food processor only pulse for a couple of time and check the result.
- Do not use additional water when pan frying the rice this will make the cauliflower rice go soft.
- Do not over cook the rice as the water in the cauliflower will make the rice go soft and soggy.
- You can add additional ingredients if you like shrimp, chicken, beep and mushroom,
If you make more (fried) rice you can freeze the remaining rice is a plastic container or zip loc bag You can reheat rice in a wok or frying pan with some oil.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.