Introduction: Lu Rou Fan 滷肉飯 - Braised Pork Over Rice
Lu Rou Fan 滷肉飯 - Braised Pork Over Rice
Cook Time: 1 ½ hours
Servings: 3 - 4
1 lb of pork belly, sliced into thick matchsticks
1 tbsp of oil
1 cup of fresh shallots, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup of dark soy sauce
¼ cup of regular soy sauce
½ cup of Shaoxing rice wine
½ tsp of five-spice powder
½ cup of fried shallots
3 hard-boiled eggs
Chopped scallions (optional)
Preserved Mustard Greens (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry garlic and shallots until fragrant.
2. Add in the pork belly, cook until no longer pink.
3. Stir in the fried shallots until well incorporated.
4. Add in the dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine and five-spice powder.
5. Top off with water to cover the pork belly.
6. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer, cover and let it simmer for about 1 hour until the pork is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
7. After an hour, add in the hard-boiled eggs. Stir to cover eggs in the sauce. At this point, if the sauce is too salty, add more water. Return the lid and let the sauce simmer for another 30 minutes.
8. When pork is fall-apart tender and eggs are lightly browned, carefully remove the eggs and cut in half.
9. Time to plate: Dish out and serve over rice. Garnish with scallions and preserved mustard greens. Tuck in an egg half or two. Enjoy!
If you don’t like pork belly, you can use ground pork.
If you feel that the pork belly makes the dish too oily, skim off the some of the oil that gathers on top.
Taste the sauce after an hour, if it’s too salty, add a little water to balance.
Some recipes add sugar or rock sugar, if you would like to sweeten the dish, add 1 ½ tsp of sugar or rock sugar.
If you don’t have preserved mustard greens, but want to make this a more rounded dish, add any green vegetable stir-fried with garlic and a little bit of salt.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.