It's not often you'd combine delicate French cookies with loaded cheeseburgers, but these adorable macarons are the exception to the rule! Layered with chocolate, raspberry and coconut, they are easier to make than you'd think. Impress family and friends with these delicious little treats and your ultimate fusion cooking skills :D
Step 1: The Ingredients for Your Burgers
Measurements are listed in both grams and U.S. cups, either way will give delicious results!
P.S. These burgers are surprisingly vegetarian!
For the macaron 'buns':
- 120g (1 1/4 cups) icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 80g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) almond flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- Brown gel or powdered food colouring
For the decorations and fillings:
- 10g (2 tsp) sesame seeds
- 30g (2 tbsp) heavy cooking cream
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 100g raspberry jam/jelly
- 35g (1/3 cup) medium shredded coconut
- 80g white fondant or ready-roll icing
- Yellow gel or powdered food colouring
- Green gel or powdered food colouring
Step 2: Preparing the Meringue...
Macarons are notorious for their difficult execution, but in reality there are just a few key steps for perfection.
1) Blitz together the almond flour and 2 tbsp of the icing (confectioner's sugar) in a food processor until almond flour is very fine. Add the remaining icing sugar and sift the mixture into a bowl.
2) Whip the egg whites on a high speed (7 on a KitchenAid) until frothy (about 2 minutes), then add caster sugar in a slow steady stream. Continue to beat on high speed until the meringue forms stiff peaks, about 4 minutes.
Step 3: The Macaronage!
A flat rubber spatula is essential to a perfect macaronage. The trick is to press enough air out of the meringue for a smooth mixture, but not so much that there is no air left.
3) Add the almond mixture to the meringue. With a rubber spatula, fold the almond mix into the meringue. Begin to scrape down the side of the bowl and press the mixture against the side of the bowl. Repeat this scraping and pressing action until the mixture 'flows like magma' and is reasonably smooth (about 35-40 presses).
Step 4: Piping the 'buns'
4) Use little dots of mixture to secure a sheet of baking paper to a baking tray. Fill a piping bag (wide-tip circular nozzle) with the macaron mixture. Pipe small rounds of mixture onto the tray.
5) Rap the tray firmly against the bench to smooth the macarons and allow air bubbles to rise to the surface. Cover any air bubbles with a toothpick. Sprinkle half of the macaron shells with sesame seeds. Set aside the tray of macarons at room temperature for around one hour to allow 'skins' to develop.
Step 5: Meanwhile, Prepare Your Fillings...
For the burger patties: microwave the cream in a heat-proof jug on high for 40 seconds or until bubbling. Add in the chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Freeze for 30 minutes. Scoop out balls of ganache and form into small patties then refrigerate until required.
For the cheese: combine the fondant with dashes of food colouring until the fondant is a cheesy yellow colour. Roll out very thinly (2 mm / 1/16 of an inch) and freeze on a flat surface for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and set aside.
For the tomato sauce (ketchup): microwave jam for 30 seconds on high. Stir well and pour into a piping bag with a small circular tip. Set aside until the burger construction.
For the lettuce: mix together green food colouring and shredded coconut in a bowl. Alternatively, shake together in a ziploc bag for maximum green-ness.
Step 6: Bake N Build!
6) Preheat the oven to 160C (320F). Bake the macarons for 12-15 minutes, turning around half way through. They are cooked when you can lift one off the tray without the filling sticking. Allow to cool on the baking tray for 20 minutes.
7) Place a burger base down. Top with a ganache patty, fondant cheese slice, piping of jam sauce, sprinkle of coconut lettuce, and top with a sesame seed bun! Repeat to make as many burgers as you can.
Stand back and admiring your awesome creation! And remember to save a few for yourself :)
karl264 made it!