So I walk in to my laundry room and instantly my socks are wet. I look down and see water everywhere. I turn off the washer, start cleaning up the mess, and start looking. I took the front cover off of the washer and turned the machine on and watched. I spotted a hole in the tubright above where the water drains from the tub in to the pump. The hole looked like an exit hole from a .22cal round. I started looking on the internet for other people who had this problem and how to fix it.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
I noted that some people are using epoxy to repair holes in the liner. I work at a body shop and have access to some very strong epoxies. I’m sure any epoxy that is waterproof will work. I used my Leatherman and trimmed the plastic that was sticking out of the hole.
There is not much room to work under the drum, and while I was cutting I bumped into the hose that connected the tub to the pump. It made a very distinct clanking noise. I knew it was money but couldn’t tell how much. I thought it was just a few coins. I took the line loose and found to my surprise $5.10 in change, a few earrings, 2 trim nails and pole tag from 2008.
I then grabbed some 80 grit and sanded the area for proper adhesion. Then I spread the epoxy over the hole in the washer tub. I let this dry for 24 hours and then put it all back together. This repair didn’t cost me anything to do, the epoxy and even the sand paper was on the floor of the shop I work in. My best guess would be no more than $10.00, which is far cheaper than a new washer. Thanks.