My Magic: The Gathering collection has grown exponentially recently so I thought it was time to sort out some nice storage for my cards. I wanted to move them away from the old Fat Pack boxes in the cupboard to something more presentable.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Box
I toyed with the idea of making my own box but as I'm fairly new to woodworking I decided to just buy a pre-made one.
After a bit of shopping I found this chest in Evolution. It was a bit too deep to comfortably fit my cards. I wanted them to bit a bit closer to the opening so I could search through them easily without having to take them out of the box itself.
Step 2: The Tray
After a fair bit of measuring I used http://www.makercase.com/ to create the plans for a laser-cut box that fit the dimensions of my chest. I then edited the resulting vector in Inkscape in order to add the handles, create the dividers, remove the top and add the middle piece.
After I had my plans ready I took them to the Hackspace and put them through the laser cutter. I used 3mm A4 birch plywood for the tray as it was the only wood I had on hand. It came out surprisingly well after a good sanding and a coat of stain & wax.
After the stain & wax I glued the lot together and left it overnight to make sure it stayed together.
Step 3: The Dividers
I created the design for the dividers in Inkscape and then put them through the laser cutter. I cut the dividers out of the same wood as the card tray.
I decided against staining these the same colour as the tray to give them a bit of contrast. I would like to stain them in their respective colours but buying 5 different coloured wood stains is a bit out of my budget at the moment.
Step 4: The Finished Product.
All that was left was to slide the tray into place and decant my collection into it.
The tray holds around 1500 cards (At a rough estimate, I don't have the patience to count them all) and two/three binders for rare cards.
In total this project cost me about £30 to complete, including materials and time spent on the laser.
Wood dye & wax: I used the communal wax and stain from the Hackspace, probably around £3-4 worth.
Laser cutter usage: 2 hours cutting & engraving in total so around £2, including all of my failed cuts.