Make a speaker school project
What if you can make a speaker from scratch at home and guess what its a cool science project as it involves basics of electromagnetism. Some basic things you will find at home only for others any local stationary shop would do. @projectsforschool.com , we try to make project kits with material which is usually easily available and have daily life applications.
The material you have received in the kit is as follows:-
1. One Styrofoam glass
2. One audio chord
3. Copper wire
4. Steel wire
5. Card sheet
6. Four magnets
7. One cello tape
8. One piece of sand paper
How it works
Inside a speaker, an electromagnet is placed in front of a permanent magnet. The permanent magnet is fixed firmly into position whereas the electromagnet is mobile. As pulses of electricity pass through the coil of the electromagnet, the direction of its magnetic field is rapidly changed. This means that it is in turn attracted to and repelled from the permanent magnet, vibrating back and forth.
Method to make
1. Make a very small hole at the bottom of the Styrofoam glass. Make a coil of the copper wire by wrapping it around cylindrical object like steel glass / wooden object.
2. leave both the ends free before taping it to the bottom of the Styrofoam cup.
3. Cut a piece of card sheet long enough to cover all of the length of cup on both sides and stick thin steel wire onto the middle of the sheet keeping its ends free and out of the sheet.
4. Place the 4 magnets I used refrigerator magnets, one on top of the other in the middle of the coil.
5. fix the card sheet with wire facing outwards onto the magnets over the cup.
6. Now the loose end of copper wire to attach the ends of wires from audio jack. Make sure to use sand paper to remove insulation of copper wire.
7. Speaker is ready to use, increasing the turns of copper wire and magnets to increase the audio signal from the speaker.
Happy school project making
Best of luck
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.