Introduction: Make Spongecake
Here is how to make a very basic spongecake..Great for use in Tiramisu, and Trifle, among other things.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Will Need
you will need:
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
pinch of salt
Butter (for pan)
Step 2: Prepare Pan
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Place the pan over the waxpaper and cut around the pan with sharp knife it should fit perfectly in the bottom of the pan.
3. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan.
4. Place the waxpaper in the bottom of the pan and butter the waxpaper.
5. Lightly flour the pan.
Step 3: The Separation...The Beatings....
1. Separate the whites into a large bowl, and the yolk into a small bowl
2. Beat the whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
3. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating whites until stiff peaks form.
4. Whisk yolks with a teaspoon of vanilla.
5. Add 1/4-1/3rd of the whites into the yolks and gently fold in until it is an even colour.
6. Add yolk mixture back into the whites...Do Not Mix Together Yet!
7. Sift the flour and cornstarch together over the mixture.
8. Gently fold together until the batter is smooth and shiny.
Step 4: Bake...remove..cool..
1. Smooth the batter into the pan with a spatula.
2. Place in the 375F oven for 20-25 minutes, until just golden brown.
3. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
4. Gently run sharp knife around the edge of the pan.
5. Make sure the cake is free inside the pan (if not, repeat step 4) and flip it out.
6. Peel waxpaper, and behold the sweet yummy goodness that awaits you!
Step 5: Enjoy !!
Now that you have a yummy spongecake..you can top it with fresh berries and whipped cream, douse it in your favourite liquer and chocolate or use to make Tiramisu, Trifle, or..???