Introduction: Make Your Own Design W/ DIY LED Lighting
Make your own design with DIY Lighting LED bulbs using basic parts from the home improvement store! This is an inexpensive and flexible way to create bright lighting that fits your space, no matter whether you design it for your shop or your home.
Please ask a professional before attempting any electrical work. This project is for demonstration purposes and is designed to inspire lighting ideas only and should not be confused with electrical advice.
Step 1: Materials Needed:
For this project you need:
- LED Incandescent Replacement Bulbs (11 watts, 60 equivalent)
- Light Boxes
- Light Receptacles
- 1 Light Switch
- 1 Switch Box
- ½ inch Conduit
- Male/Female Conduit Connectors
- 14 gauge 14-2 wire
- Extension Cord
- Wire Nuts
- Misc Screws
- Wire Stripper/Cutter
- Utility Knife
- Screwdriver (Regular & Philips)
Step 2: Assembling the Lights
- Cut the conduit to length with a hacksaw.
- Next, remove the shielding from your 14 gauge wire and cut to length.
- Strip the ends with a wire stripper
- Cut the female end of the extension cord off, remove the casing and strip the three wires.
- Pop out the metal on the metal switch box and connect the male/female conduit adapters and thread the wire through.
- To connect the two boxes, thread the wires through the conduit pipe and into the metal switch box.
- Connect the ground wire together and ground the metal box. Connect the hot and neutral to the light receptacle from both sides.
- Secure the light receptacles to the boxes and screw in the bulbs.
- Now repeat the same step to your other boxes, until you reach your final box.
- Connect the conduit to the adapter, and it's a good idea to glue this.
- Ground the metal box, and connect the hot and the neutral to the light receptacle.
- Secure the receptacle to the box and screw in the bulb.
Adding a Switch:
To make it easy to turn the lights on and off, let's use a switch.
- Bring out the switch box, the switch and the extension cord connected to the lights.
- Cut the extension cord in half and remove the shielding and strip the ends.
- Thread through both cords to the light switch box and connect both to the light switch.
- Secure the switch to the box and add the cover.
- Check all your grounds and connections and plug it in.
Step 3: Conclusion - Watch the Video
For a more in depth look, please take a look at the video that goes over the various steps.