Do you love to share fun stories with your daughter or grandson? To do so, you might need some funny characters? (NØ) is pleased to share with you a sewing project to help you create japanese-style cuddly light toys called nuigurumi (ぬいぐるみ).
Step 1: Preparation and Instructions (to Download)
To get started, you will need
- a piece of felt of your choice.
- some wool or cotton stuffing.
- a sewing thread.
- some cotton embroidery floss and a bamboo pick.
- bring also your paper scissors, fabric scissors, a sewing and an embroidery needle.
(NØ) has created an instruction file with the different steps and patterns that you can download here:
The instructions on page 1 are in french but the images are self-explanatory :).
Step 2: Build Your Nuigurumi!
- Download the template
- Cut out the templates (don't forget to mark the notches).
- Trace the different pieces on the back of the felt, mark the mouth and the eyes with tacking thread.
- Cut out nuigurumi body, ears and head directly on traced line.
- Stitch the two body pieces together and ears together (front and back), using chevron stitch. Leave an opening at the top of the body (neck) and at the bottom of the ears for stuffing.
- Stuff body and ears. Use bamboo stick for stuffing.
- Take the ears that you have stuffed and place them in between head pieces. Align accordingly and sew them, leaving an opening (neck) for stuffing the head (More illustrations and pictures here).
- Stuff the head.
- Sew up openings on body and head using a chevron stitch.
- Embroider the eyes and mouth with filling stitches.
Step 3: Customization
If you want to get ideas for customizing your Nuigurumi, have a look here.
Hope you enjoyed this DIY! Share your creations!