Here is a step by step guide to make your very own multi touch panel for your PC or Mac.
This will let you control almost everything on your computer without even touching the mouse. The software that makes this run is open source and I will have a link to it at the end of this How-To.
Step 1: Gathering Your Materials
Even though this project does something that is quite complex, the good thing is that the hardware is quite simple and is easy to make.
1. For the body of this device you will need to get 2 Rubbermade containers. They need to be at least 1 foot tall but it does not matter what the length and width are.
2. You will need a cheap web cam. I got a cheap one from my from my local Target store for about $10.
3. You will most likely need to get some cardboard. I used some from an old shoe box. The only reason you would not need it, is if your wires from your web cam come out the side of the camera.
4. You will also need a piece of normal printer paper.
Step 2: Get the Tools
There are not very many tools for this project, but the ones that it does need are very important!
1. A sharp knife
2. Black spray paint, it does not matter if it is matte or gloss.
3. A permanent marker, any kind as long as it is black
4. hot glue gun and glue sticks for it
5. normal glue sticks
Step 3: Cut the Hole for the USB Cord
You need to cut a hole in one of the boxes so that you can run the USB cord through it.
Step 4: Paint the Boxes
Now that you have the hole in the box you need to paint the boxes. First start by putting painters tape on the bottom of one of the boxes, then paint both of them black. You may need to do the paint a second time so that no light can get through the paint.
Step 5: Make a the Cardboard Block
If the cord on your web cam comes out the back of the camera take some cardboard and use it to prop up the camera.
Step 6: Put the Camera in the Box
Now take your camera and the block of cardboard and put them in the box with the hole in it. make sure that you have it centered and perfectly straight and glue it down.
Step 7: Put the Paper on the Box
Now take the other box and use your glue stick to hook the paper to the bottom of the box (on the outside of the box).
Step 8: Hook the Boxes Together
Now take the box with the paper and take the top (where you put the lid on) of it and glue it to the top of the other box. (Gluing top edges together.)
Step 9: Get the Software
You are now done making the hardware. Give yourself a pat on the back. Then when you are done with that, go to this website, http://ccv.nuigroup.com/#downloads and get the software for your operating system (windows, mac, or linux). Then get the demos from here, http://tbeta.nuigroup.com/zip/flash_demos.zip . That's it, now you just need to run ccv and open one of the demos!!