Make a Button Tray




About: Furniture, fabric, architecture, building, painting. I specialize in upholstery design, restyling, repurposing and writing all about upholstery. I teach loads of upholstery classes all week long and also te...

A $1.99 round teak tray is easy to convert to a unique button tray. Great for a gift to a friend with a new home, a shower gift or a birthday gift. Wrap it up with a bottle of wine for the perfect gift.

Step 1: Measure and Mark

Measure and mark the center of the tray with four pencilled dots to look like the holes in a button.

Step 2: The Drill Bit

Attach the drill bit that is made for cutting out large holes from doors for locks or cutting holes in drywall.

Step 3: Clamp and Drill

Carefully clamp the tray to a flat surface and drill out the four holes.

Step 4: The Four Holes (not a Rock Band)

The tray is starting to resemble a button but it needs some finish work.

Step 5: Smoothing the Cuts

With medium sandpaper, sand around the edges of the hole and any part that feels rough

Step 6: Give It Some English

Add a little Old English on the sanded wood to even out the color

Step 7: Cute As a Button Serving Tray

Serve your guests, or your best gal or guy a little goodie on this cute button tray.



    • Classroom Science Contest

      Classroom Science Contest
    • Backyard Contest

      Backyard Contest
    • 1 Hour Challenge

      1 Hour Challenge

    29 Discussions


    Wow, so simple yet ingenious! I'm actually gonna try to take this one step further and use the holes as holders for the glasses. Thanks for sharing!


    7 years ago on Introduction

    LOVE it! So simple yet it looks like it came from a designer shop. I definitely are gonna use your idea. I just got the same idea as jessyratfink :)


    9 years ago on Introduction

    Okay, my mom's birthday isn't until July, but I -so- know what I'm making for her now. She loves buttons, and she loves trays. It's got her name all over it! You rock. <3 5/5 for such a simple, delightful project.

    2 replies

    Be sure to clamp the button down onto a piece of wood and WATCH OUT for the big circle drill bit--it jumps when you first turn the drill on. I just did another "button tray and the bit jumped and chewed up my thumb a little. OUCH!!!

    The button pillow is just a knockoff of a pillow made by a home products company in Europe. I wanted to show others how they could do the same. :) Thanks for the comment.

    wow... nice idea. i think that im going to make allot of these and have a stand holder for them to....know now what my cristmass present to other people coulde be. one question ? how would you curve the surface of the wood to keep it from being flat? or did you just buy the tray that way?

    1 reply

    10 years ago on Introduction

    Ok the drillbit aint a problem for me, i got about 3-4 sets of those (use them pretty often). But where can i get such a tray? I've looked in all stores i suspected to have one, no luck here :( Somebody knows a german online supplier for such a tray? I really want a button tray :)

    2 replies

    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    Now do I have to come over there and take you around to Goodwill stores? Ha. I didn't even know what I was going to do with it when I bought it. I was on one of my binges buying up teak trays, all sizes one week at Goodwill. Just keep your eyes open. I saw one similar (way overpriced) at Target. What do you call those drillbits? Hey, if I find a tray, I'll contact you to see if you want it.


    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    Those things are called "hole saw" or "core drill" The last one is usually used for the real big ones (1 feet in diameter and more). The first ones usually come in a set where you got a big base with the drill in it, and then you add the saw of the size you need. But you can also get those "one size" ones, like the one in your pictures. The one size ones are usually for a special purpose, like for mounting plugs and switches into the wall where you only need one size. And they are stronges, yo you can use them on concrete and stuff. The changable size ones are usually for softer Material like wood or plexi.