The purpose for this instructable is to create a remote control that will operate by being connected to the Makey Makey and will function as keyboard keys. This remote can be used by young children and adults who suffer from Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis in order to have a more friendly and comfortable experience operating a computer.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Make the Conductive Dough
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 cup of Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil Food Coloring (optional)
How to make the dough:
1. Pour the water, 1 cup of flour, salt, cream of tartar, vegetable oil, and food coloring in a medium sized pot.
2. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly.
3. The mixture will begin to boil and start to get chunky.
4. Keep stirring the mixture until it forms a ball in the center of the pot.
5. Once a ball forms, place the ball on a lightly floured surface.
WARNING: The ball will be very hot. We suggest flattening it out and letting it cool for a couple minutes before handling.
6. Slowly knead the remaining flour into the ball until you've reached a desired consistency.
7. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag. While in the bag, water from the dough will create condensation. This is normal. Just knead the dough after removing it from the bag, and it will be as good as new. If stored properly, the dough should keep for several weeks.
Step 2: Building the Remote
- Molding Clay
- Conductive Dough
- Roll out the molding clay to about 3/8 of an inch
- Cut out a circle and a triangle shape*
- Smooth out the edges and surfaces
- Take four small equal size pieces of the conductive dough and place two side by side and the other two vertically like shown in the picture*
*Note: -The shapes should be made according to the size of ones hand keeping comfort in mind
-The four small pieces represent right, left, up and down keyboard keys
- When placing the pieces make sure they do not touch each other
Step 3: Connecting the Makey Makey
- Conductive Dough
- Remote Controls
- Makey Makey
- Five alligator clips
- Makey Makey board
- USB cable
- Roll out a long piece of conductive dough that will wrap around the wrist
- Connect the Makey Makey board to the computer using the USB cable
- Take the alligator clips and connect four to the arrow keys on the board
- Place the clips to the corresponding remote control keys
- Connect the last alligator clip to the bottom row labeled earth on the board
- Place the clip on your conductive dough bracelet*
*Note: By having the clip connected to your bracelet it gives you control over the remotes
Step 4: Enjoy!
Any games can be played online as long as the game contains the keys on your remotes such as:
- Aztec Dash
- Chica's Adventure
When using the remotes less pain will be caused to the joints which allows for a better experience using the computer.