Introduction: Making Digital Contact Sheets
These instructions will walk you through how to make a digital contact sheet using your black and white negatives in both the Lightroom app on your phone and Lightroom Classic on the desktop.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Take a Photo of Your Negatives
Using your phone and the vertical light board, take a GOOD photo of your negatives making sure you don't have much or any glare from the room lights.
Then you can either take the photo into the Lightroom app on your phone (skip to step 6) or put the photo on your Google Drive and edit it in Lightroom on one of the classroom Macs.
Step 2: Desktop Lightroom: Taking the Photo to Lightroom
- Upload your photo from your phone to Google Drive.
- On the Mac, download the photo from Google Drive to the desktop.
- Import the image into Lightroom Classic and open the Develop Module.
- Crop the image to remove the extra space, if needed, so we only see the rows of negatives.
- Next, follow the directions in the video linked above or the following steps.
Step 3: Desktop Lightroom: Tone Curve
- Find the Tone Curve panel on the right under Basic.
- Click on the curve button in the lower right corner of the Tone Curve panel and change it so you can see Channel: RGB.
Step 4: Desktop Lightroom: Flip the Line!
- Hover over the bottom left corner of the line in the curve box until the cursor changes to the up and down arrow as pictured.
- Drag the line from the bottom left to the top left. This will make the image completely white.
- Drag the top right end of the line down to the bottom right. Ta-da!
Step 5: Desktop Lightroom: Final Adjustments
- Go up to the Basic panel and slide the adjustments until you have a good balance of lights and darks
- You can see in my image that I adjusted the Exposure, Contrast, Highlights and Black, but you might need to make slightly other adjustments to yours.
- When complete, switch back to the Library module and Export the image using the instructions given in class.
Step 6: Phone App: Using the Lightroom App
- Install the Lightroom app on your phone and sign in with your school email address. Make sure you choose Enterprise ID.
- Click on the photo button at the bottom right corner to access your camera roll or take the photo using the app.
- Touch on the Light module at the bottom and touch on the Curve option. Make sure RGB is selected by touching on the circle on the bottom left that is red, green and blue.
Step 7: Phone App: Flip the Line!
- Touch on the white dot at the bottom left corner of the image and drag it to the top left.
- Drag the white dot that is in the top right down to the bottom right.
Step 8: Phone App: Adjustments
- If you would like to adjust it further, you have 2 options.
- Touch anywhere in the middle of the line and move it up or down until you are happy with the adjustment. Touch on Done.
- Touch on Done after flipping the line and use the sliders in the Light module to make the adjustments.
Step 9: Phone App: Export It!
Touch on the share icon at the top of the screen. You can Export the image as a JPG and save it or send it to your Google Drive.